Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary


Department of Urology, 1910


Urology was first taught at Tufts in 1893 by Dr. J. Cushing Allison, who lectured to seniors. From 1895 to 1897 Dr. Fred S. Raddin instructed students in urology via lectures and demonstrations at the Boston Dispensary, and from the latter year until 1906 Dr. Gardiner W. Allen held this responsibility.

The medical school established a department of urology in 1910; Dr. Charles M. Whitney, whose later bequest provided for the establishment of a chair in urology, was named head of the new department. He later was succeeded by Dr. Arthur L. Chute in 1931, Dr. Harold A. Chamberlin in 1933, and Dr. Wyland E. Leadbetter in 1947. Beginning in 1933 it became customary for the chair of this department to also serve as chief of urology at the New England Medical Center.

In 1954 Dr. Burdick G. Clarke was appointed chairman: he subsequently initiated teaching programs at St. Elizabeth's Hospital, the Boston City Hospital, and the Boston Veterans Administration Medical Center. His successor, Dr. Henry M. Wise, was responsible for developing a special laboratory for the evaluation of patients with neuropathic bladder dysfunction, while Dr. Alan B. Retik, who served as chair of the department from 1967 to 1969, was instrumental in creating a program in pediatric urology that brought the division international recognition. During the tenure of Dr. StephenA. Mahoney, who was chairman from 1969 to 1974, a renal transplantation program was instituted at the New England Medical Center. When he left Boston in 1974, Dr. Robert Spellman became acting chair until Dr. Edwin Meares, the current head of the department, was named chairman in 1975. Dr. Meares is a well-known specialist on infectious diseases of the genito-urinary tract who has served on a number of national and international committees. A graduate of the Medical College of South Carolina, he trained in urology at Stanford. In 1989 he was presented with the Hugh -Hempton Young Award in honor of his contributions to the field. As chair of Tufts' urology department, Dr. Meares has developed a strong academic program that focuses on student teaching, research, and patient care. He also serves as the school's Charles M. Whitney Professor of Urology as well as the New England Medical Center's urologist-in-chief.

Source: COE, 160-61

Subject terms:
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
Component ID:
To Cite:
TARC Citation Guide    EndNote
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
Numeric Entries
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
 List of Sources