Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
A. Warren Stearns Research Building, 1940
The A. Warren Stearns Research Building was opened in 1962, after six years of planning, fundraising, and construction work. Located at 120 Harrison Avenue, in the center of the Tufts University School of Medicine's Boston campus, the buildingis named after A. Warren Stearns, A1906, M1910, H1943, the seventh dean of the Tufts College Medical School.
The eight story, 33,000 square foot Stearns Building is home to academic departments, a number of lecture halls, laboratories for student research, the Boston School of Occupational Therapy, and modern research facilities.
Originally built in 1940, the building had housed a garment factory, but was purchased by Tufts with funds acquired mainly through the bequest of Marian Cowan Garland. Architects Steinman, Cain, and White planned the renovations, which were in turn funded by a combination of federal grants and matching university funds.
Source: UA010 Box 9