Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
WTCR was a small, student-run radio station that operated out of the basement of Braker Hall from 1956 to 1961.
On April 13, 1956, a small group of Tufts students began transmitting radio broadcasts from a room in the basement of Braker Hall. Calling the station WTCR, the students established themselves as an official campus organization. By the next year, WTCR's membership had grown to forty students. The station advertised itself as the voice of Tufts Radio Workshop. WTCR served as both a campus radio station, and also a radio workshop for interested students. WTCR became one of the largest and most influential student groups over the next couple of years, eventually expanding their signal so that they were broadcast to nearly all the dorms at Tufts. WTCR's programming included play by play sports, news, and educational broadcasts.
By late 1959, WTCR was beginning to encounter serious problems. The FCC forced the station to shut down after it discovered radiation leaks at the studio. The station equipment, mostly leftovers from the military, was breaking down and slowly leaking radiation. For the next two years, the station attempted to fix the equipment and continue broadcasting, but aside from a few sports games and news programs, WTCR was basically off the air. The station officially disbanded in 1961.
Source: TW, JB1961