Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Eliot Pearson Children's School [building], 1962

The Eliot Pearson Children's School was established in 1961, utilizing the grounds and facilities of the former Stearns Village. The nursery school was located in what had been the maintenance building.

A yearlong fund drive to build new Eliot Pearson facilities raised $371,000 in 1962. Construction began on a modern, sky-lighted building for the new children's school when half of the total funds raised were recieved by the university. The new building housed the Lucile C. Pitcher Nursery School, a kindergarten, and a first grade. Each classroom had one way observational mirrors installed so that visitors and students could watch classroom operations without interrupting.

The building was gutted by fire, however, in November 1978. The three-alarm blaze, blamed on faulty wiring, caused between $500,000 and $600,000 worth of damage. Almost immediately, the school moved its classes to Haskell Hall in order to continue operations, and soon after moved into the Hooper Lounge in .

School officials and benefactors raised $26,000 to supplement the building's insurance money, and renovations on the fire-damaged building included new offices, an administrative area, and a seminar room. As the renovations progressed, another $140,00 was raised.

The Smith Foundation donated $120,000 to Eliot Pearson for further renovations in 1994.The primary goal of the new changes was to establish a more "kid-friendly" atmosphere throughout the building. The reception desk, for example, was lowered so that children could see over it. The walls were also repainted and redecorated.

As of 2001, the Eliot Pearson Children's School continues to operate on the Tufts campus, offering degree candidates the opportunity to gain valuable teaching experience.

Source: OBS, TD

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources