Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Bush Hall, 1959
|Bush Hall, located at 29 Latin Way, was originally built as a women's dormitory for Jackson College. Named in honor of Edith Linwood Bush, W1903, Dean of Jackson (1925-1952), it was designed by Perry, Shaw Hepburn and Dean. It was dedicated November 29, 1959, simultaneously with Dewick Dinning Hall. The dormitory contains fifty-one double rooms and three single person rooms.|
In 1991, no undergraduates resided in Bush as a result of the lowered demand for campus housing due to the combination of South Hall's completion and low rental fees for off campus housing. This surplus of housing allowed fifty-six graduate students to be housed in Bush for the academic year.
Bush underwent major renovations in 1995, in conjunction with the remodeling of Dewick/MacPhie Dinning Hall. The original first floor lounge was torn down to create a loading dock for the dinning hall, with a new lounge being constructed in conjunction with study rooms, a TV room, and kitchen facilities.
As of 2000, Bush Hall continues to be used a co-educational dormitory for undergraduate students.
Source: BG3; FAS; TD, September 9, 1991; TD, February 3, 1995; April 14, 1995