Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary


Lewis Hall, 1969


Lewis Hall was constructed in 1969-70 to serve as a dormitory, originally intended for Jackson College, but by the time of its opening, it was designated a co-educational dormitory for undergraduate students, the first such on the Medford campus. The building was designed by Hugh Stubbins. In 1972, the hall was named for the late Leo Rich Lewis, professor of music and composer of numerous Tufts songs.

Construction of the building was plagued with unrest, principally having to do with minority represenation among the contractor's workforce. At the outset of construction the university was concerned that the contractor comply with new federal regulations regarding minority representation in the workforce on federally funded projects. As the perception grew that the contractor was not taking adequate steps in this area, the Afro American Society at Tufts, a student organization, became heavily involved in the matter. A series of peaceful confrontations between students and faculty and the construction company ensued. Due to the continuing concern about minority represenation, Tufts filed suit in state court in the fall of 1969 seeking a declaratory judgment as to whether or not the contractor had been in compliance with affirmative action guidelines. The construction company countersued, though both suits were dropped after negotiations were settled regarding outstanding payments.

Prior to the dedication of the building in Professor Lewis' honor, it was known among the students as "Freefer Hall" after an article which appeared in the Observer on April 10, 1970, cited a gift from Mr. and Mrs. Quentin P. Freefer, both Tufts graduates and champions of equal rights for both sexes. Despite obvious signs that the article was a hoax, including the byline under which the article appeared, Ima F. Rawde, Freefer Hall quickly took hold as the name of the new building. With the University's decision to officially name the building Lewis Hall, students petitioned unsuccessfully to keep the original name.

As of 1999, Lewis Hall continues to be used as a dormitory for undergraduates.

Source: BG7; LOH2

Subject terms:
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is.
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
Component ID:
To Cite:
TARC Citation Guide    EndNote
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
Numeric Entries
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
 List of Sources