Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Bartol House, 1894
Bartol House, located at 37 Sawyer Avenue on the Medford Campus, was built in 1894 for Heth Aleph Res, the Divinity School fraternity. Since that time it has served a number of purposes including a residence for women, an infirmary, a faculty residence, and undergraduate housing. It was named for Mrs. John W. Bartol in 1955, when it became a dormitory for students in the Eliot Pearson School.
Heth Aleph Res resided at the house until 1899.From 1900 to 1903 it was a residence for women students who boarded themselves. From that point it served as a residence for faculty: Charles C. Stroud of the Department of Physical Education lived there until 1905, when Harry G. Chase of the Department of Physics moved in. He remained until 1912, when it returned to student use with the Commons Club, a local fraternity, moving in. In 1916 it was taken as a dormitory for Jackson students as well as serving as the women's infirmary. In this period it was known as Gamma House and a bridge connecting the house with Hooper Infirmary directly behind it allowed the women's and men's infirmaries to more easily share staff and resources.
In 1955 the house was given for the use of Eliot Pearson students and assumed its current name of Bartol House, in honor of Mrs. John W. Bartol.
As of 2000, Bartol House serves as a special interest residence for undergraduates. Its theme is Arts House, for students interested in fine arts.