Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Jackson Gymnasium, 1947
|The Jackson Gymnasium was built in 1947 to serve as the gymnasium for Jackson College. It is named in honor of Henry Clay Jackson, a conductor on the New York/New Haven and Hartford Railroad and was built with funds from the Paul Wilde Jackson Trust Fund. Jackson is no relation to Cornelia M. Jackson for whom Jackson College is named.
The building features a regulation basketball court. It was designed by Louis W. Ross and Arland A. Dirlam. Once a free-standing structure, Jackson Gym is now connected via Alumnae Hall to the Aidekman Arts Center and Cohen Auditorium.
As of 1999, the Jackson Gym is still in part used as a gymnasium, primarily for dance classes in a dance lab that occupies the rear third of the structure. The gymnasium is also used for aerobics, fencing, volleyball, basketball, and events such as career fairs, alumni luncheons, and blood drives. A computer lab is located in the basement of the building.