Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Arlanson, Harry, 1909-1998

Harry Arlanson (1909-1998), E1931, served as Director of Physical Education at Tufts from 1954 to 1974, although he is perhaps best remembered for his prowess as a football coach, compiling a 217-59-15 lifetime record.

Arlanson, born May 4, 1909, in Lynn, Massachusetts, received his early education in Lynn schools, where he captained his high school baseball team. He entered Tufts in 1927 as an engineer, and began actively participating in Tufts' athletics. He captained the baseball team his junior and senior year, and was also captain of the football team his senior year. After receiving his degree from Tufts in 1931, Arlanson moved on to Boston University, where he received a master's in education in 1935.

Between 1935 and 1954, Arlanson worked as director of physical education and head coach of the baseball and football teams at Weymouth high school. His coaching soon earned him the nickname, "The Magician." His football accomplishments included eight undefeated teams, six class A championships, and the Gator Bowl championship in 1950. He turned Weymouth's football team from a class C team into the most feared squad in the state. In 1954, Arlanson began work as the director of physical education at Tufts. He coached the football team for twelve years, turning them into a strong and respected squad during the fifties.

Arlanson received the Tufts University Distinguished Service Key and was named New England Coach of the Year in 1959. After stepping down from coaching the football team, Arlanson devoted much of his time to administrative duties, including roles on several ECAC and NCAA committees. After his retirement in 1974, Arlanson served as an official of the Eastern College Athletics Conference. He was elected to the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics Hall of Fame in 1974, complementing his election to the Massachusetts Coaches Association Hall of Fame ten years earlier. In 1990, the Legion football field in Weymouth was renamed Arlanson Gridiron in his honor.

Arlanson died on March 21, 1998 at his home in East Dennis, Massachusetts.

Source: VF

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources