Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History

Sauer, Anne

Branco, Jessica

Bennett, John

Crowley, Zachary

2000

Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969

Construction began on the Tufts Dental Health Sciences building at One Kneeland Street on the Boston campus in 1969, after four years of planning. The building, constructed to expand the facilities of the School of Dental Medicine, was finally dedicated in April, 1973.

The eight-story building, originally slated to cost $12 million, actually cost the university a total of $14.5 million. Rising construction costs over the course of the building's completion caused the price increase, and at its dedication one and a half floors remained empty due to financial restrictions.

Tufts began planning the project in 1965, after numerous requests for more space from dental school faculty and students. The dental school had been sharing a building with the School of Medicine, and was restricted to tight teaching and operative quarters. During the planning phases of the new building, Tufts received a $7.5 million grant from the federal government to assist in covering the construction costs. In March, 1970, Tufts received a second grant, from the New England Regional Commission. The grant of $500,000 was in recognition of Tufts continued contribution to New England area dentistry. During the summer of 1970, Tufts received one last grant, for $250,000, in order to build the Center for Diagnosis and Prognosis of Oral Diseases in the new building.

The completed building contained modern operating rooms, new seminar rooms, faculty offices, lounge areas, a large lecture room, and classrooms. The building also contained larger clinic facilities and more space for graduate research. All of the clinics and operating rooms were decorated with artwork to make dental treatment a more pleasant experience for patients.

As of 2001, the Dental Health Sciences Building continues to serve as the headquarters of the School of Dental Medicine. Its laboratory facilities have been updated to contain modern dental equipment.

Source: TC 2-5

 
Subject terms:
Description
  • The encyclopedia seeks to capture more than 150 years of Tufts' achievements, societal contributions and outstanding alumni and faculty in concise entries. As a source of accurate factual information, the Encyclopedia can be used by anyone interested in the history of Tufts and of the people who have made it the unique institution it is. The Encyclopedia is an ongoing, constantly growing, online r... read more
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
f1881x54h
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Introduction
 Content
Numeric Entries
A
B
C
D
Dame, Lorin Low, 1838-1903
Dana, Charles A., 1881-1975
Dana Laboratory, 1963
Daniel Ounjian Prize in Economics,
Davies, Caroline Stodder, 1864-1939
Davies House, 1894
De Florez Prize in Human Engineering, 1964
de Pacheco, Kaye MacKinnon, ca. 1910-ca. 1985
Dean Hall, 1887-1963
Dean, Oliver, 1783-1871
Dearborn, Heman Allen, 1831-1897
Department of Anatomy and Cellular Biology, 1893
Department of Anesthesia, 1970
Department of Art and Art History, 1930
Department of Biochemistry, 1893
Department of Chemistry, 1882
Department of Community Health, 1930
Department of Dermatology, 1897
The Department of Economics, 1946
Department of Medicine, 1893
Department of Molecular Biology and Microbiology
Department of Neurology, 1893
Department of Neuroscience, 1983
Department of Neurosurgery, 1951
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1893
Department of Ophthamology, 1893
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, 1906
Department of Otolaryngology, 1895
Department of Pathology, 1893
Department of Pediatrics, 1930
Department of Pharmacology, 1915
Department of Physics and Astronomy, 1854
Department of Physiology, 1893
Department of Psychiatry, 1928
Department of Radiation Oncology, 1968
Department of Radiology, 1915
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, 1955
Department of Surgery, 1893
Department of Urban and Environmental Policy, 1973
Department of Urology, 1910
Dental Health Sciences Building, 1969
Dewick, Cora Alma (Polk), 1875-1977
Dewick/MacPhie Dining Hall, 1959
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
Dirlam, Arland A., 1905-1979
Dog Cart, 1900
Dolbear, Amos Emerson, 1837-1910
Donald A. Cowdery Memorial Scholarship, 1946
Dr. Benjamin Andrews Professorship of Surgery, 1987
Dr. Philip E. A. Sheridan Prize, 1977
The Drug Bust, 1970
Dudley, Henry Watson, 1831-1906
Dugger, Edward Jr., 1919-75
Durkee, Frank W., 1861-1939
Durkee, Henrietta Noble Brown, 1871-1946
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z
 List of Sources