Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Navy V-12 Program, 1942-1945
The Navy V-12 Program was established in 1942 as part of the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps to provide accelerated officer training at American colleges and universities in support of the war effort. During its existence at Tufts, more than 4,000 officers received their training on the Medford campus. Students enrolled in the program were able to complete their college studies, supplemented with special military training prior to being commissioned in the navy.
The V-12 Program was a boon to the college during the lean war years as well as providing desperately needed officers to the navy. Enrollments at Tufts dropped precipitously as young men were called to service, and the empty seats were filled with V-12 trainees.
The Navy V-12 Program was administered by the School for War Service, a division of Tufts established to run that and other wartime programs.
A memorial to those who participated in the V-12 program was dedicated on September19, 1998. Located near Ballou Hall on the Medford campus, the memorial includes a plaque and bench on a brick terrace overlooking the President's Lawn.