Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
Dickson Professorship of English and American History, 1913
The Dickson Professorship of English and American History was established in 1913 by Walter Scott Dickson, a parishoner and of Professor Edwin C. Bolles. It was reported that Dickson saw an illustrated version of a poem called Behind the Times, which made him think of Dr. Bolles and inspired him to establish the professorship.
Since its establishment the professorship has been held by Edwin C. Bolles from 1913 to 1920, Halford Lancaster Hoskins from 1925 to 1944, Ruhl Jacob Bartlett from 1946-1956, Albert Henry Imlah from 1958 to 1969, Robert J. Taylor from 1970-1975, and Russell Miller from 1975 to 1981. Martin Sherwin is the current holder of the chair, and was appointed in 1982.
Source: RNCH2; FB