Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts History
101 Talbot Avenue, 1894
|101 Talbot Avenue, built in 1894 by Professor William R. Shipman, was originally occupied by a Mr. Martin, who was employed by Shipman. Upon the sale of his own house at 101 Professors Row to Zeta Psi fraternity, Shipman moved his residence to 101 Talbot.|
Following the death of Shipman's wife, Professor William R. Ransom and his family resided with Shipman, until they moved into 29 Sawyer Avenue in 1907.Shipman continued to reside in a small suite in the upper part of the house while Professor Melville S. Munro and his family took up residence in the greater part of the house. Munro purchased the house after Shipman died, living there for the remainder of his life. Munro's daughter continued to live at 101 Talbot for some years following her father's death in 1945 and later rented the home to family not connected to the college. Tufts purchased and renovated the house in 1953, after which Alvin R. Schmidt took up occupancy.
As of 2000, 101 Talbot Avenue houses the Russian and Slavic Culture Unit providing an environment for students wishing to pursue an increased understanding of Russian and East-European culture.