The exact date of the foundation of this gate is not known. Mr. Strype conceives it was erected by Erkenwald, son of Offa king of Mercia, and bishop of London, whom historians mention as the founder of religious houses, at Chertsey, in Surrey, and another at Barking, in Essex, where he died, anno , and was afterwards canonized.
The most ancient notice of this gate. according to Stowe, was that William Blund, of the sheriffs, in , sold to Serle Mercer and William Almaine, procurators, or wardens of , all his land, with the garden in the parish of St. Botolph without, Bishopsgate.
Henry III. confirmed to the merchants of the Hanse, who had a house in the city called , certain liberties and privileges on condition that they repaired this gate; Edward I. also confirmed the same; but it appears they did not fulfill the agreement, for in this reign they were presented by some
| of the wards to the judges itinerant, sitting in the Tower in these words, |
Upon this Gerard Marbod, alderman of the Hanse, and others of their country, granted to the mayor and commonalty, and covenanted that they and their successors should repair the gate from time to time. In the year the gate was beautifully rebuilt by those merchants.
On the south side over the gateway, was placed a stone image of a bishop with a mitre on his head: he had a long beard, eyes sunk, and an old mortified face, and was supposed to represent St. Erkenwald.
On the north side was another figure of a bishop with a smooth face, reaching out his right hand to bestow his benediction, and holding a crosier in his left, who is thought to have been bishop William the Norman. This last was accompanied by other figures in stone, supposed to represent king Alfred, and his son Eldred, earl of Mercia. In the year , the above-mentioned merchants prepared stone for rebuilding the gate; but that company being dissolved about this period, a stop was put to the work, and the old gate remained till the year , when it was quite taken down, and rebuilt at the expense of the city. When it was almost finished, the arch of the gate fell down; but though it was a great thoroughfare, and this accident happened in the middle of day, no person was hurt.
Over the gateway of the new erection, was a carving of the city arms, supported by dragons, and on each side of the gate was a postern for the convenience of foot passengers.
The rooms in the ancient gate were appropriated to the use of of the lord mayor's carvers; but, in the stead thereof, he was paid per annum by the city. The site of the gate is marked by a tablet, with the following inscription surmounted by a mitre:
On this place stood BISHOPSGATE.
In the latter part of , a mutilated statue of white marble, measuring about feet inches in height was discovered near the bite of this gate, in forming what is now called , which unites the ancient site of with . It evidently represents St. Peter attired in a dalmatia and cope, with a chasuble on his left arm; he holds a key in his right hand and a book in his left; and bears the pall. It is of coarse workmanship, headless; and beneath the feet is an ornamented slab. It is not improbable that this was of the statues which adorned the ancient gate, and might justly be described as a bishop; this saint always appearing with a mitre and tiara on his head.
In and Hen. VIII. an act was passed for paving several streets.
was described, in common with others named, to
The principal part of Grace, or Grass-church street, so called from a grass market formerly held there, is in this ward; it is a good street, inhabited principally by respectable shopkeepers.
Leadenhall herb-market, the principal entrance to which is from Grace-church-street, is also in this ward.
is a long and spacious street, and consists principally of handsome buildings; but, as it all escaped the fire of , except the south end, many of the houses still remain, specimens of the ancient architecture of London.
The south end of this street was again burned in the year , and an elegant row of buildings erected on the spot. In clearing the rubbish, to lay the foundations of the new buildings, the remains of an ancient church or chapel were discovered, which had long served as cellaring to the houses that covered this relic of antiquity; but when, or by whom, this old church was founded, cannot be traced. The inside of it measured feet in length, and in breadth, The roof was only feet inches from the floor, occasioned by the raising of the ground in this part of the city
It was conjectured, that the premises here mentioned were the remains of a church, which once stood at the top of, or above, , dedicated to St. Andrew the Apostle; from which the other church, at the corner of , dedicated to the same saint, was distinguished by the addition of .
About feet farther to the north, and under the house, where the fire was supposed to have begun, there was another stone building, feet long, feet broad, and feet high, with a door on the north side, a window at the east end, and the appearance of another at the west end. This building was covered with a semicircular arch, made of small pieces of chalk, in the form of bricks, and rubbed with stone, resembling the arches of a bridge: but this structure did not appear to have any connection with the ; nor does any ancient his tory give us the least account thereof, nor of any religious or other remarkable foundation in this neighbourhood, that could be so strangely buried.
On the site of the above building was erected
 It is engraved on wood, from a drawing by Mr. Fisher in the Gent. Mag. vol. xcvi. part 2, page 209.
 Engraved in the Gent's Mag. vol. xxxvi. p. 55.
|View all images in this book|
|CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London|
|CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c|
|CHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward|
|CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward|
|CHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward|
|CHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward|
|CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within|
St. Botolph's Church without Bishopsgate
St. Helen's Church
Priory of St. Helen
Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlehem
Priory of St. Mary Spital, or New Hospital of our Lady without Bishopsgate
Brotherhood of St. Nicholas
The London Tavern
New London tavern
The Marine Society
Sir Paul Pindar's House
|CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward|
|CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within|
|CHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward|
Allhallows Church, London Wall. 1760
St. Bartholomew the Little, or St. Bartholomew by the Exchanges
St. Benet Fink
St. Martin Outwich Church. 1794
Plan of St. Martin Outwich Church. 1760
St. Peter le Poor. 1760
Priory of Augustine Friars
St. Anthony's Hospital
The French Church
The Bank of England
St. Christopher le Stocks
Merchant Taylor's Hall
South Sea House
The Auction Mart
|CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward|
|CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward|
St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Andrew by the Wardrobe
St. Benet, Paul's Wharf
St. mary Magdalen
Baynard Castle, 1660
College of Arms
Regalia of a King of Arms
The Court of Arches
The Prerogative Court
The Court of Faculties and Dispensations
The Court of Admiralty
The Court of Delegates
|CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward|
|CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward|
|CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within|
|CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without|
|CHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard|
|CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within|
St. Martin Ludgate
House of Friars' Preachers
House or Convent of Grey Friars or Friars Minors
South View of the West Cloister of the Grey Friars
Old College of Physicians
The Gentleman and Porter
The Bishops Palace
The Chapter House
St. Faith's Church
St> Paul's School
|CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without|
St. Andrew, Holborn
St. Bartholomew the Less
St. Bride's, alias St> Bridget
St. Dunstan's in the West
St. Bartholomew the Great
Priory of St. Bartholomew
House of Carmelites or White Friars
Hospital of St. Bartholomew
Lamb Conduit, Snow Hill
Gaol fo rthe City of London and County of Middlesex called Newgate
The Scottish Hospital
|CHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward|
|CHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward|
|CHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward|