The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas

1827

Elsing Spital.

The priory of Elsing-spital consisted of a college for a warden, priests, and clerks; and an hospital for old, blind, and poor persons of both sexes: blind, paralytic and disabled priests to be preferred. This foundation was erected on the site of several tenements of William Elsing, citizen and mercer of London, the founder, A.D. , Edw. III. who dedicated the same to the Virgin Mary. But in the year he changed the college of seculars into a priory for a prior and regular canons of the order of St. Augustin; which at the dissolution were increased to in number, endowed with per ann. according to Dugdale, or according to Speed.

The following is an account of their temporal possessions:--

Comput« Ministrorum Domini Regis temp. Hen. VIII.
Elsing spittell priorat« infra civitatem London.
London Firma terr« et tent« infra precinct«1300
Redd« ten« in Philippe-lane13100
Firma terr« et ten« in paroch«de Aldermanbury17510
Firma ten« in Bassingeshawe200
Firma ten« in S« Laurence-lane2900
Firma ten« in Iremonger-lane:10118
Firma ten« in Honyne-lane, juxta Chape1134
Firma ten« in Bowe-lane18150
Firma terr« et ten« in le Pultrey7154
Firma ten« in paroch« Sci Sepulchri1010
Firma ten« in paroch« Omnium Sanctorum ad fenum29128
Firma ten« in le Old Change10100
Redd« de Johe Jenkyns400
Firm« ten« in Watling-strete500
Firma ten« in paroch S« Dunstani et Omn« Sanct« Barking7174
Firma ten« in Graschurch-strete1118
Firma ten« extra Busshopesgate1120
Firma ten« in White Crosse-strete040
Firma ten« in Friday-strete0142
Hertf« Stansted Thele Redd« ten«, etc.7174
Amewell-Redd« terr«, etc087
Hoddesdon-Redd, ten388
Essex« Chelmsford-Firma ten« et terr«6174
Buingifford-Maner«1000
Midd« Hendon-Firma un« domus368
London Aldermanbury rectoria1600

479

 

In Hen. VIII. this religious house, situate part in the parish of , and part in the parish of St. Alphage, was granted to sir John Williams, knt. master of the king's jewels, afterwards lord Tbame: and the next year, on Christmas eve, it was burnt down, he then living in it; having made a garden of the church-yard, and stables of the lodgings for the poor. In this grant was reserved a quit-rent of . per ann. to the crown.

The seal of the hospital represented the crucifixion, with the legend .

This estate devolved to Henry Norris, esq. who married sir William's only daughter Margery, and conveyed it to sir Rowland Hayward, alderman of London, for whose son sir John Hayward sold it (with an incumbrance of the said quit-rent, and per ann. for ever, left by his father sir Rowland to the poor of St. Alphage, to be distributed in bread) to Robert Parkhurst, who, in Charles I. conveyed it to the rev. John Simpson, rector of , , and John Keeling of the Inner Temple, esq. for the uses of the will of the rev. Dr. Thomas White, vicar of St. Dunstan's in the west; who, amongst other charities, &c. had intrusted them to lay out in the purchase and building of a cottage for the use of the London clergy, and alms-houses for -poor people, men and women. In prosecution of the said Dr. White's will, a charter was procured the , Charles I. under the great seal of England, for incorporating the clergy of London: by which all the rectors, vicars, lecturers, and curates, are constituted fellows of the college. And, out of the incumbents, are annually to be elected, on Tuesday weeks after Easter, as governors, a president, deans, and assistants, who are to meet quarterly to hear a sermon ; and afterwards to be entertained with a dinner in the college hall, at the charge of the foundation.

The bishop of London is visitor. But no bishop of London ever visited till , when Dr. Henry Compton, then lord bishop of London, visited.

In , the governors and clergy, being summoned, agreed upon a common seal, which had round it ; and upon it the good Samaritan, with this inscription,

The alms-house consists of distinct rooms, for men within the college, and men without it. They are to be nominated; by the city of Bristol, where Dr. White was born; by the merchant-taylor's company; by the parish of St. Dunstan, where he was minister years; and by St. Gregory's parish, where he had lived about years; except any of the kindred of either of his wives appeared, who were to be considered, not exceeding at a time. All which are to give security, at their admission, that they be no charge to the college nor parish of St. Alphage.

480

 

Besides the benevolence of the founder, Mr. Brewer, by his last will, made in the year , gave them a farm in Hertfordshire. They are paid quarterly by the college. Formerly it amounted to per annum each; but now, by reason of the falling of the rents considerably, as manor in the hundreds of Essex from . per annum is fallen to per annum, their allowances are somewhat abated.

To this college belongs a very spacious library, ( feet in length and feet broad), which was added to it after its institution at the sole expense of the rev. John Simpson, rector of St. Olave, , and of the executors of Dr. White's will. A great number of books were brought to this library from the old cathedral of St. Paul, in the year , and many others were given by private benefactors. But in , part of the books, the alms-houses, several chambers for students, and the apartments reserved for the governors and fellows to meet in, and for the residence of the librarian and clerk, were destroyed by the great fire. However, the whole edifice was afterwards rebuilt in the plain manner it now appears. The new library has, at different times, been greatly enlarged; particularly by a part of the Jesuits' books seized in the year ; by the donation of lord Berkley, who gave half of his uncle Cook's hooks to it, by several legacies, to be laid out annually in books; by a great number of private benefactors; by the books that it has been some time a custom for every incumbent within the city and suburbs of London, to give, on his taking possession of his living; and lastly, by authority of an act of parliament, copy of every book or work entered at Stationers' hall is deposited there. For the preservation and care of this library, there is a librarian, who has a genteel apartment on the south side of the college.

The library is in excellent order, and contains about volumes. A catalogue of its contents was printed in .

Against the press, on entering the room, is a curious painting of a head of the Almighty on pannel; and as the inscription is in Saxon characters, done in paint over in golden letters, worn nearly away, it may be presumed to be very old. A worm-eaten black frame incloses it. The countenance bears a placid and very good expression, with a small mouth and forked beard. The hair red; and behind the head a slender triangle, finished with scrolls at the ends. The garment is brown.

On turning it,

says Mr. Malcolm,

1

found on the back a picture of the decollation of John the Baptist. A daughter of Herodias is represented receiving the head just severed from the body, which lies extended at the feet of his executioner, who is a stout man, with his arms bared, and the sword in his left hand. The expression of terror on the lady's features is still to be discerned; though, as the

Maitland, ii, 910.

the marker for this footnote is missing in the main text

picture has usually hung with this side to the wall, it is much worn. The back ground is formed by the portal of a window and landscape. May not this curious piece of antiquity have been an altar picture descended from Elsynge priory, though not mentioned in the inventory

A head of Charles I. An expression of grief and anxiety is pourtrayed in his features. The figure is nearly lost in the back ground. He wears the blue riband, and has dark brown hair. No name is attached to it, but it is supposed to be by Van Bleek, after Vandyke.

Opposite is a full length of Charles II. in his robes of the order of the garter. This painting was given by Mrs. Eleanor James, .

On the eastern side of the court is the hall. The door is in the middle, and approached by several steps; a large circular pediment projects over it; on each side is a window. In the story are . The corners ornamented with rustic stone quoins. The walls brick. The front gateway within the court is guarded by small octagon brick towers, between which are as many windows over each other. The towers give the gate an antique air.

The interior of the hall is plain, with a flat ceiling: the sides wainscotted with oak, about feet high. Against the walls are the following portraits:--

Georgius, comes de Berkeley.

This portrait obtained its place in consequence of the request made by the president and deans, , for his lordship's and sir Robert Cooke's pictures, as a testimony of gratitude for the donations of books they had received from them. Berkeley's face is large, unmeaning, and very florid, with a profusion of hair nearly white. He is represented in his robes, and the coronet lies on a table near him; an old fashioned chair and an embroidered curtain.

Robertus Cooke, miles,

seated on a crimson chair; black hair, whiskers, and pointed beard, a dark robe, and large band; supposed to be by Vandyke.

Samuel Brewster, armiger.

It was this gentleman's intention that Sion college should have had his books, but they never received them; and it was after a suit in Chancery that they obtained an estate called Tyler's Causeway, bequeathed by will .

Thomas James, Typog.

He left his books for the use of the public; and his wife selected Sion college as a depository for them.

Eleonora, conjux Thomae James;

a very good picture, whose features and eyes have a disordered and singular expression. Her hairis dark, and fancifully adorned with rich lace, which hangs over the shoulder in tasteful folds. Her gown is of red silk, and her bands are crossed on a book, the binding of which is most minutely finished, and very splendid. On a table open before her is a pamphlet, inscribed,

A Vindication of the Church

of England, Mrs. James;

in an answer to a pamphlet, intituled,

A new Test the Church of England's loyalty.

Tho. Secker, archiep. Cantuar.

1758

;

a quarters length in robes.

Edmund Gibson, ep. Lond.

1723

,

seated on a black velvet armed chair; by Vanderbank.

Thomas Tennison, archiep. Cantuar.

1691

;

seated on a purple chair, fringed with gold. The face is extremely well painted.

Hen. Compton, ep. Lond.

1675

.

He sits on a superb chair of purple and gold; his right hand on a table of the same materials. The face, hair, and hands, are excellent.

A whole length of Charles II. a wretched performance.

The gift of Mrs. Elinor James to this hall. God bless her majesty! A. D.

1713

.

Richard Terrick, ep. Lond.

1761

.

A most admirable picture; his right hand on a table; his left holding a book. This portrait cannot be praised too much.

Thomas Sherlock, ep. Lond.

1718

.

A good painting by Borgnis.

In the court room, which is a small apartment adjoining the hall, is a portrait of

Thomas James, S. T. P.

1627

aet.

57

,

keeper of the Bodleian library, Oxford.

Nearly opposite to Sion college is a small piece of ground, a portion of the agger or terrace of earth raised against the city wall, internally, as a rampart to place the defenders on a level with the battlements. It is the burying-ground belonging to St. Alphage's parish, and is approached from the street by a flight of steps through a modern doorway; this piece of ground is bounded on the north by the actual wall, a portion of which is ancient and built with rag stone; the residue and greater part has been repaired about the commencement of the century with brick. The bricks are of a dark red colour, and are ornamented with fret work in white bricks in the style of the above period the finish of the wall, in which are embrasures, is still perfect. The doorway which preceded the present, had a semicircular arch rusticated; above the head was the following inscription on a stone still existing on the inside of the present wall, surmounted by a death's head, and bones in

The gateway as erected at the proper cost and charge of Ralph Holbrook, husband of Elizabeth Holbrook, niece to Laur Coppey, gent. who lyeth interr'd within. Anno dom. .

Near the west end of is Curriers'-hall, a plain erection of brick, built in . The hall which is on the ground floor is a small mean apartment. In the clerk's office, is a portrait of

483

no great merit, intended for James the , who incorporated the company , in the year of his reign. His majesty has the globe in his left hand, and in his right the folds of his robes.

In a closet adjoining the hall is a picture of Mr. William Dawes, who presented an estate to the company. He is represented in a full-bottomed wig, and with enormous flaps to his coat-sleeves and waistcoat.

crosses the north end of , running due east and west from Cripplegate to the north west angle of London-wall: in which is a charitable foundation by Mr. Robert Rogers, leatherseller and merchant-adventurer, for ancient couple, who have a room below and another above, and per annum each, paid by the city of London. They who are eligible for admittance into this house must be free, and have no charge of children. This charity is in the gift of the city.

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Abstract of roll, 28 Hen. VIII. in the Augmentation Office.

[] Mr. Malcolm notices a portrait of Edvardus Herbert, baron de Cherbury, obitt 1678, grandson of Edward first lord Herbert; this painting is not now in the collection.

[] This word is defaced.

This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
zg64tx42b
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
CHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
CHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
CHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
CHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
CHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
CHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
CHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
CHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
CHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
CHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward