The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3
Portsoken Ward lies wholly without the city, properly so called, but includes an extensive plot of ground, extending
| from to Whitechapel Bars, eastward, and from Bishopsgate to the river Thames, north and south. This Portsoken, says Stow, which |
Edward's grant was confirmed by William Rufus and Henry the , in the latter of whose reign (in ), the entire Soke, and its appurtenances, were given by the then brethren of the guild, who are called burgesses of London, and whose names are recorded by Stow, to the church of the Holy Trinity within , which had been recently founded by Matilda, Henry's queen. This gift was confirmed by a royal charter, and the deed granted by the Confessor, together with
was solemnly placed by the knights upon the altar in , and full possession was afterwards given to the brotherhood of the Holy Trinity, of all the possessions of the guild, the final investiture being attended with much ceremony. The prior was also
when the priory was
|surrendered to Henry VIII. Since that period, this ward has been governed in a similar manner to the other parts of the city, viz. by an alderman and common councilmen.|
It is bounded on the east by the parishes of Spitalfields, Stepney, and in the east; on the south by ; on the north by Bishopsgate ward, and on the west by ward. This ward is divided into the precincts of , , the Bars, , and Convent-garden, and contains church,
 Stow's Lond. pp. 85, 86, Edit. 1597.
 Stow's Lond. p. 88, Edit. 1597.