The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas

1827

Tallow Chandler's Hall.

It consists of a quadrangle, open on side, with a piazza of the Tuscan order, erected, as appears by a date on the front, in . In the centre is a small basin of water, with a fountain. The whole of the buildings are of red brick. The hall is a handsome apartment, feet long by feet wide, with a screen of carved oak at the north end, consisting of Corinthian columns supporting a plain entablature with a broken arched pediment. This screen supports a handsome music gallery. The hall is lined with wainscot to the height of feet. Above the master's chair, within a broken pediment, are the royal arms, and, over them, are the company's arms. The ceiling is ornamented in stucco with the city and company's arms, wreaths of foliage, &c.

The court room is on the floor, and is wainscotted in pannels to the ceiling. Above the mantel-piece are the arms of the city; over the door are those of the company; and, above the master's seat, the royal arms. The staircase is spacious, and lighted by an octagon lanthorn. The court parlour, which is on the same floor as the hall, is also wainscotted to the ceiling; above the mantel-piece is a landscape, and over it the royal arms, in carved oak, from which depend foliage, fruit, &c. Over a blank door in this apartment, within a broken pediment, is a shield of arms, also of oak, and beneath the following inscription :--

This parlour was wainscotted at the expense of sir Joseph Sheldon, knt a member of this company. and lord mayor of this city, A. D 1675.

Who also gave this company a barge, with all its furniture.

The principal ornament of this room, is a full length portrait of a gentleman in the elegant costume of the yeomen of the guard; it is in a splendid frame, surmounted by a shield of arms, viz. a chevron, cheque and sa. between ounces heads erased az. collared and chained or. and a mount vert. Thereon a demi griffin erased couchant, az. winged

518

 

Beneath is the following inscription :--

Presented by

Roger Monk

, esq. master of this company,

1826

, in his costume as Exon of the yeomen of his Majesty's guard.

This painting is by H. W. Pickersgill, esq. R. A.

From the ceiling depends an elegant chandelier, presented by the same gentleman.

At the upper end of Dowgale-hill once stood a castellated conduit for Thames water; between which and the river there was such a fall of water in , on the , that the channel rose so high by a sudden fall of rain, that a lad of eighteen years old falling into it, as lie endeavoured to leap over, was carried away by the flood and drowned.

Lower down there was a college called Jesus Commons, for the reception and maintenance of a certain number of poor priests. And on the east bide of this hill there once stood a royal messuage, the great old house called the Erber, near to the church of St. Mary Bothaw. It was alienated by king Henry VIII. who gave it to sir Philip Hoby, who sold it to Doulphin, a draper, and he ( Mariae) sold it to the company of drapers. Sir Richard Pallison, mayor, rebuilt this house, in which the celebrated circumnavigator sir Francis Drake, resided for some time.

In is Plumbers'-hall, a modern brick dwelling-house. The hall and court room are perfectly plain and devoid of ornament. In the window of the staircase are the arms of the city and company in stained glass, with the date of . from there is a passage into , well inhabited; on the east side of which stands

 
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
zg64tx42b
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
CHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
CHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
CHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
CHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
CHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
CHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
CHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
CHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
CHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
CHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward