The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3
This ward, like the last, derives its name from its situation; it contains the precincts of Redcross-street, , , and Grub-street. It is bounded on the north by the parish of St. Luke; on the west by the ward of Aldersgate, on the south by Cripplegate within, and on the east by ward. It is governed by an alderman, and sends inhabitants to the court of common council. It contains church.
 Increased from four by act of common council, 30th Nov. 1826.