The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 3

Allen, Thomas

1827

Foundation Stone St. Mary Woolchurch-haw.

In digging the foundation of the Mansion-house, on the site of the above church, the foundation stone was found in .

Adjoining to the church--yard of St. Stephen, was Walbrook-house, the old mansion of the family of Pollexfen, which sharing the common fate of the general conflagration in , was rebuilt in the following year by sir Henry Pollexfen, chief justice of the court of Common Pleas in the reign of Charles II. It stood on lofty brick arches, of exquisite workmanship and great antiquity; and was supposed to have been the town residence of the abbot of Tortington. It was an elegant brick building, of the Corinthian order, with double windows.

In was the residence of the notorious colleagues of Henry the , Empson and Dudley.

At the south east corner of was a conduit, new built in the year , at the charge of the corporation, but not rebuilt after the fire of London.

On the east side of is the church-yard of St. Mary Bothaw. This church took its additional name from its vicinity to a boat-haw, or boat-builder's-yard, in that neighbourhood, and was of great antiquity; for, in the year , Wibert, the prior, and the convent of Christ-church, in Canterbury, granted certain lands and houses, on the north side of it, to Ernis, and his heirs, in consideration of an annual payment of in money, a towel, of the value of , pitchers, at pieces of money, and a salt-seller at ; which were to be delivered to the prior's steward, for the use of his house.

The site of this church is now a small vacant piece of ground in front of the rectory house, and is used as the burying-ground of the united parishes. The east wall of the church still remains, and a large arch in it was evidently the east window of the chancel. The form of the arch is semicircular, and it is turned on brick, the aperture being walled up with ancient masonry, apparently as old as the wall in which the arch is formed. The circumstance of the brick arch is worthy of attention, as many Roman arches exist in this country formed of the same material, and although there is no positive evidence of the present fragment being entitled to such high antiquity, it is worthy of attention from the probability that it may actually be a vestige of a building as old as the time of the Romans, a supposition which is considerably strengthened by the existence of the adjacent London stone, in the neighbourhood of which Roman remains may be looked for with greater probability than any other part of the metropolis.

In formerly stood a large mansion, called the Herber, probably a corruption of Harbour-inn. The origin of this palace is not known; but it belonged to Edward III. then to the noble family of the Scropes; after them to the Nevilles; and here the earl of Salisbury, brother-in-law to the great earl of Warwick, on the , lodged with men at the famous

774

congress of the barons. It very often changed masters; from the Nevilles, it came to George, duke of Clarence. At length, by attainder, it came to the crown. Richard III. repaired it, and called it

The

King's Palace

.

Henry VIII. gave it to John earl of Oxford; the following year, , it was bestowed on sir Thomas Boleyn; and, in , the arbitrary monarch restored the whole, by letters patent, to Margaret Plantagenet, countess of Salisbury, whom he afterwards beheaded; and with her ended the royal line of the Plantagenets. The Herber then once more came to the crown, and the king gave it to sir Philip Hoby, who, for years afterwards, sold it to a Mr. Doulphin, a draper. The company of drapers purchased of him, in the year ; but it appears to have been re-sold to sir Thomas Pallison, lord mayor in , who rebuilt the entire premises, which were subsequently the residence of the celebrated circumnavigator sir Francis Drake: the great fire put an end to these migrations to and from the Herber, and it was not rebuilt.

On the west side of is the church-yard of St. John upon ; attached to the wall is the following inscription:--

BEFORE THE LATE DREADFULL

FIRE, ANNO DOMINI

1666

, HERE

STOOD THE PARISH CHURCH OF

ST. JOHN BAPTIST, UPON WALBROOKE.

WILLIAM WILKENSON,

NICHOLAS COTTON,

CHURCH WARDENS THIS PRESENT

YEAR ANNO DOMINI,

1671

.

The above stone was new faced

And the letters fresh cut,

ANNO DOMINI,

1774

.

MICHAEL WIEGAND,

THOMAS TILSON,

CHURCHWARDENS.

The patronage of this church was anciently in the dean and chapter of , who, it seems, granted the same to the prioress and convent of St. Helen, in whom it continued till the suppression of their priory, when it came to the crown, in which it still remains; but in ecclesiastical affairs it is subject to the archdeacon.

This church was destroyed in the fire of London , and not rebuilt.

On the west side of is

 
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
zg64tx42b
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London
 CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward
CHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within
CHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward
CHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without
CHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward
CHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward
CHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward
CHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward
CHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward
CHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward
CHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward