, or Ealdgate, (which signifies Old Gate,) was situate adjoining to , and was of the original gates of the city, and that through which the Roman vicinal way led to the , or ferry at Old-ford. The earliest mention we can find of it, is in a charter granted by king Edgar, about the year .
This gate being in a very ruinous condition, was pulled down in the year , and re-built; but it was not completed till
In digging the foundation, several Roman coins were discovered, resemblances of of which Mr. Bond, of the surveyors of the work, caused to be cut in stone, and placed on each aide of the east front, where they remained till the demolition of the gate.
In a large square, on the same side of the gate, was placed the statue of king James I. in gilt armour, with a golden lion, and a chained unicorn, both couchant at his feet.
On the west side of the gate was a figure of Fortune, gilt, and standing on a globe, with a prosperous sail spreading over her head; under which was carved the king's arms, with the motto,
, and a little below it,
; somewhat lower, on the south side, stood Peace, with a dove perched on hand, and a gilded wreath in the other.
On the north side of the gate was the figure of Charity, with a child at her breast, and another in her hand.
On the top of the gate was a vane, supported by a gilt sphere; on each ride of which stood a soldier holding a bullet in his hand, on the top of the upper battlements.
Over the arch of the gate were carved the following words:
There were posterns through this gate; that on the south side of which was made as late as the year . There was likewise
|apartments over the gate, which were appropriated to the use of of the lord mayor's carvers, but had, of late years, been used as a charity-school.|
In the neighbourhood of this gate, lived and died the able historian of the city, John Stowe.
On the south side of , opposite the pump, among other large and handsome houses was , sometime belonging to the prior of Monte Jovis or , (Horn-church) in Essex. It was the prior's inn when he came to London.
A little to the north of St. James's church, in Duke's Place, is a jews' synagogue, which has been so enlarged as almost to join the church.
Besides this there are other synagogues in this ward; a Portuguese near the north end of , by Londonwall; in , for Hamburgh Jews, and a in a building which was formerly Bricklayers'-hall, situate behind the houses that are nearly opposite to St. Catherine Cree-church, and which was new built in ; over the entrance from are the Bricklayers'-arms.
All those synagogues are of plain exterior, being built of brick; the interiors are handsomely fitted up with galleries, gilt and decorated in a fanciful style.
The west wall of the synagogue in Duke's Place, is railed, and contains the , where are deposited the sacred volumes, which are taken out and re-placed with great ceremony.
Over this on the wall, are painted in Hebrew characters, without points, the commandments.
In the front of this building, over the porch, is a large hall purposely appointed for the celebration of the wedding of poor Jews. A considerable degree of ceremony is always attached to these connubial contracts, and that the poorer classes may not be prejudiced by the expence, the whole society assist them by a subscription.
|View all images in this book|
|CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London|
|CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c|
|CHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward|
|CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward|
|CHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward|
|CHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward|
|CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within|
St. Botolph's Church without Bishopsgate
St. Helen's Church
Priory of St. Helen
Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlehem
Priory of St. Mary Spital, or New Hospital of our Lady without Bishopsgate
Brotherhood of St. Nicholas
The London Tavern
New London tavern
The Marine Society
Sir Paul Pindar's House
|CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward|
|CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within|
|CHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward|
Allhallows Church, London Wall. 1760
St. Bartholomew the Little, or St. Bartholomew by the Exchanges
St. Benet Fink
St. Martin Outwich Church. 1794
Plan of St. Martin Outwich Church. 1760
St. Peter le Poor. 1760
Priory of Augustine Friars
St. Anthony's Hospital
The French Church
The Bank of England
St. Christopher le Stocks
Merchant Taylor's Hall
South Sea House
The Auction Mart
|CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward|
|CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward|
St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Andrew by the Wardrobe
St. Benet, Paul's Wharf
St. mary Magdalen
Baynard Castle, 1660
College of Arms
Regalia of a King of Arms
The Court of Arches
The Prerogative Court
The Court of Faculties and Dispensations
The Court of Admiralty
The Court of Delegates
|CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward|
|CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward|
|CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within|
|CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without|
|CHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard|
|CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within|
St. Martin Ludgate
House of Friars' Preachers
House or Convent of Grey Friars or Friars Minors
South View of the West Cloister of the Grey Friars
Old College of Physicians
The Gentleman and Porter
The Bishops Palace
The Chapter House
St. Faith's Church
St> Paul's School
|CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without|
St. Andrew, Holborn
St. Bartholomew the Less
St. Bride's, alias St> Bridget
St. Dunstan's in the West
St. Bartholomew the Great
Priory of St. Bartholomew
House of Carmelites or White Friars
Hospital of St. Bartholomew
Lamb Conduit, Snow Hill
Gaol fo rthe City of London and County of Middlesex called Newgate
The Scottish Hospital
|CHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward|
|CHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward|
|CHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward|