On the east side of the , northward, stood the synagogue of the Jews in England, which was much damaged by the citizens of London, after they had slain Jews, and spoiled the residue of their goods, in the year , the of Henry III.
The synagogue being suppressed, the new order of friars, called , or , because they were apparelled in sackcloth, and who had their house in London, near unto Aldersgate, without the gate, had licence of Henry III. in the of his reign, to remove from thence to any other place; and in the , he gave unto them this Jews synagogue. After which time, Aeleanor the queen, wife to Edward I. took them under her protection, and warranted unto the prior and brethren , of London, the said land and building in Colechurch-street, in the parish of St. Olave in the Jewry, and St. Margaret in ; by her granted, with consent of Stephen de Fulborn, under warden of the bridge-house, and other brethren of that house, for threescore marks of silver, which they received of the said prior and brethren of Repentance, towards the building of the said bridge.
Queen Eleanor's charter is as follows, as it now remains among the records of the chamber of London :--
This order of friars had many good scholars, and increased in number exceedingly, until the council of Lyons decreed, that(from that time forth) there should be no more orders of Begging Friars permitted, but only the orders; viz. the Dominicks, or preachers; the Minorites, or grey friars; the Carmelites, or white friars; and the Augustines: and so, from that time, the Begging Friars decreased, and fell to nothing.
In the year , Robert Fitzwalter requested and obtained of the said king Edward I. that the same friars of the sacke might assign to the said Robert their chapel, or church, of old time called The Synagogue of the Jews, near adjoining to the mansion-place of the same Robert, where now stands Grocers'-hall. Robert Large, mercer, mayor, in the year , kept his mayoralty in this house, and resided here until he died.
Hugh Clopton, mercer, mayor, , dwelt in this house, and kept his mayoralty here: it was afterwards a tavern, which had the sign of the Wind-mill.
The site of the priory, &c. after various alterations, is now partly covered with a good private dwelling-house in front, and backward with a handsome capacious meeting-house of the presbyterian denomination; and till lately with alms-houses in Windmill-court, for poor widows of armourers and braziers, founded by Mr. Tindal, and endowed with per quarter, and bushels of coals annually: and will per quarter to those widows who were incapable of doing any business.
King Richard III. committed the keeping of the prince's wardrobe, for so it was afterwards called, to his trusty servant John Kendall, his secretary, by his patent, dated , and left him to dwell in the same.
In Edward VI«s reign it was alienated from the crown, being sold to sir Anthony Cope, a privy counsellor, for And, in consideration of services, the yearly value being reckoned at
On the east side of the in the National Debt Redemption
Office, erected from the designs of J. Soane, esq. F. S. A. In the hall is a bronze statue of W. Pitt.
The eastern side of the contains several capacious houses, built by sir Christopher Wren. These were inhabited by sir Robert Clayton, and sir Nathaniel Hearne, sheriff, in . The family of the late Granville Sharpe also resided here a number of years.
At the west end of , in , was a handsome water conduit, built at the charge of the city, in the year , sir Martin Bowes being mayor: fifteenths were levied of the citizens towards the charges thereof. This water was conveyed in great abundance from divers springs lying between and .
At the south-west corner of , in ward, was anciently an old building of stone, belonging some time to a certain Jew, named Mansere, the son of Aaron, the son of Coke the Jew, in the of Edward I. afterwards to Rahere de Sopars lane; then to Simon Francis. Thomas Bradbury, mercer, kept his mayoralty there, who died .
In the front of the public house at the north-west corner of the , the sign of the Leatherseller's arms, is a bust, in stone, of a warrior in an antique helmet and cuirass, in a circular concavity, between pannels enriched with festoons of foliage, in alto relievo. The style of the sculpture shews a period anterior to the fire: they were probably saved from some large building in the neighbourhood, and affixed in their present situation, after that calamity.
The street called , Lathberry, or Loadberry, as it has been differently wrote, according to Stow,
But it is more probable that its original name was Latenbery, alluding to the dealers or workers in tin or laten dwelling there.
On the north side of is , so named from an old house, which was an office for the delivery of tradesmens' farthings or tokens.
In a court near , is Founder's hall, the principal part of which has been used as a meeting house for more than a century and a half. The company hold their meetings in an adjoining house.
At the south-east corner of and London-wall is
|View all images in this book|
|CHAPTER I: The site, extent, buildings, population, commerce, and a view of the progressive increase of London|
|CHAPTER II: List of the parishes and churches in London, with their incumbents, &c|
|CHAPTER III: History and Topography of Aldersgate Ward|
|CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of Aldgate Ward|
|CHAPTER V: History and Topography of Bassishaw Ward|
|CHAPTER VI: History and Topography of Billingsgate Ward|
|CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of Bishopsgate Ward, Without and Within|
St. Botolph's Church without Bishopsgate
St. Helen's Church
Priory of St. Helen
Hospital of St. Mary of Bethlehem
Priory of St. Mary Spital, or New Hospital of our Lady without Bishopsgate
Brotherhood of St. Nicholas
The London Tavern
New London tavern
The Marine Society
Sir Paul Pindar's House
|CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of Bread-street Ward|
|CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of Bridge Ward Within|
|CHAPTER X: History and Topography of Broad-street Ward|
Allhallows Church, London Wall. 1760
St. Bartholomew the Little, or St. Bartholomew by the Exchanges
St. Benet Fink
St. Martin Outwich Church. 1794
Plan of St. Martin Outwich Church. 1760
St. Peter le Poor. 1760
Priory of Augustine Friars
St. Anthony's Hospital
The French Church
The Bank of England
St. Christopher le Stocks
Merchant Taylor's Hall
South Sea House
The Auction Mart
|CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of Candlewick Ward|
|CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of Castle Baynard Ward|
St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Andrew by the Wardrobe
St. Benet, Paul's Wharf
St. mary Magdalen
Baynard Castle, 1660
College of Arms
Regalia of a King of Arms
The Court of Arches
The Prerogative Court
The Court of Faculties and Dispensations
The Court of Admiralty
The Court of Delegates
|CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of Cheap Ward|
|CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of Coleman-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XV: History and Topography of Cordwainer's-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of Cornhill Ward|
|CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Ward Within|
|CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of Cripplegate Yard Without|
|CHAPTER XIX: History and Topography of Dowgate Yard|
|CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of Farringdom Ward Within|
St. Martin Ludgate
House of Friars' Preachers
House or Convent of Grey Friars or Friars Minors
South View of the West Cloister of the Grey Friars
Old College of Physicians
The Gentleman and Porter
The Bishops Palace
The Chapter House
St. Faith's Church
St> Paul's School
|CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of Farringdon Ward Without|
St. Andrew, Holborn
St. Bartholomew the Less
St. Bride's, alias St> Bridget
St. Dunstan's in the West
St. Bartholomew the Great
Priory of St. Bartholomew
House of Carmelites or White Friars
Hospital of St. Bartholomew
Lamb Conduit, Snow Hill
Gaol fo rthe City of London and County of Middlesex called Newgate
The Scottish Hospital
|CHAPTER XXII: History and Topography of Langbourn Ward|
|CHAPTER XXIII: History and Topography of Lime-street Ward|
|CHAPTER XXIV: History and Topogrpahy of Portsoken Ward|
|CHAPTER XXV: History and Topography of Queenhithe Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVI: History and Topography of Tower Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVII: History and Topography of Vintry Ward|
|CHAPTER XXVIII: History and Topography of Wallbrook Ward|