The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 4

Allen, Thomas

1827

The North Aisle.

Against the west end of the belfry stands the tomb of sir Godfrey Kneller; it consists of a good bust under a canopy, with boys on each side, holding a medallion, inscribed:

M. S. Godefredi Kneller, eqvitis Rom. Imp. et Angliae baronnetti, pictoriregibvus Carolo II. Jacobi II. Gulielmo III. Annae Reginae, Georgio I. qvi obit

26 Oct.

an. MDCCXXIII. oetat LXXVII.

Kneller by heav'n, and not a master, taught, Whose art was nature, and who pictures thought, When now two ages he had snatch'd from fate, Whate'er was beauteous, or wbate'er was great; Rests crown'd with princes' honours, poet's lays, Due to his merit and brave thirst of praise. Living, great Nature fear'd he might outvye Her works; and dying, fears herself may die. A. POPE.

On the north wall is a large dark tablet, with a white frame or border, surmounted by a vase, to Penelope, wife of Randolph Egerton, esq. died . The next is a monument by Tyler.

141

Erected by the East-India Company to the memory of major general Stringer Lawrence; in testimony of their gratitude for his eminent services in the command of their forces on the coast of Coromandel, from the year

1746

to the year

1766

.

The above is on a pedestal of rich black marble; on it are the flags of France and the Indies, and above is a fine bas relief of the fortress of Trichinopoly. Britannia seated on a bale covered with matting, remarkably well done, points to a bust of the deceased on another pedestal, behind which are colours. On it

born

March 6, 1697

: died

January 10, 1776

.

A very pleasing statue of Fame on the other side holds a shield, inscribed,

For discipline established, fortresses protected, settlements extended, French and Indian armies defeated, and peace concluded in the Carnatic.

A tablet in the window is to James Egerton, who died in , aged .

Adjoining is a most miserable statue, on a sarcophagus of beautiful marble.

Here lyes the right hon. Ann countess Dowager of Clanrickard, eldest daughter of John Smith, esq. who is interred near this place. She married,

first

Hugh Parker, esq. eldest son of sir Henry Parker, of Hennington, in the county of Warwick, baronet, by whom she had the present sir Henry John Parker, bart.

three

other sons, and

three

daughters, by her

second

husband, Michael earl of Clanrickard, of the kingdom of Ireland, the head of the ancient and noble family of the Burkes, she had Smith, now earl of Clanrickard, and

two

daughters. lady Ann, and lady Mary. She died

Jan. 1, 1732

, in the

49th

year of her age.

The next is a handsome female statue, representing Philosophy, sitting, and looking upwards: in her left hand she holds a shield, whereon is the doctor's head in bas-relief supported on her knee; and her right arm rests upon books lying on a pillar, with a sceptre in that hand. The ground is ornamented with various plants and fossils, in the front of which is this inscription:

M. S. Johannis Woodward, medici celeberrimi, philosophi nobilissimii, cujus ingenium et doctrinam scripta per terrarum fere orbem pervulgata, liberalitatem vero et patriae caritatem Academia Cantabrigiensis, munificentia ejus aucta, opibus ornata, in perpetuum declarabit. Natus kal. Maii, A. D.

1665

; obiit

7

kal. Maii,

1728

. Richardus King, tribunes militum, fabrumque praefectus, amico optimo de simerito. D. S. P.

Above the last monuments is a fine piece of sculpture by

Bacon,

1804

.

It represents Britannia reclining and clasping a vase, on which is a medallion of heads. On the other side is a figure of Fame pointing to an inscription

Sacred to J. Harvey and J. Hutt, captains of the Brunswick and the Queen, who fell gloriously in the memorable victory obtained off Brest, on the

1st of June, 1794

.

This monument was erected at the public expense, as an honourable testimony of their meritorious services.

An highly ornamented sarcophagus, by Hayward, inscribed,

To the memory of William Levinz, esq. grandson of sir Creswell Levinz, knight, who was attorney-general in the reign of king Charles II., and afterwards

one

of the Justices of the Common Pleas, from which station he was displaced in

the reign of king James II. for opposing the dispensing power, and was

one

of the counsel for the

seven

bishops. William Levinz, esq. the son of sir Creswell, represented the county of Nottingham in parliament, as did his son William Levinz. esq till the year

1747

, when he was appointed a commissioner of his majesty's customs: and in the year

1763

receiver-general of the said revenue, in which office be died upon the

17th of August, 1765

, aged

52

years.

Near this, is a small tablet in memory of Thomas Banks, esq. R. A. sculptor. He died , aged , and was buried at Paddington.

A neat tablet to John Twysden, a midshipman on board sir Cloudesley Shovell's ship, when she was shipwrecked in the year aged .

Another to Josiah Twysden, who was killed by a cannon-ball at the siege of Agremont, near Lisle, in the year , aged years.

A to Heneage Twysden, who was killed in an action under the duke of Argyll, at Blaregnies, in Hainault, , aged . He was the duke's aid-de-camp.

These gallant and unfortunate youths were sons of sir William and lady Frances Twysden; a rare instance of casualties in family in so short a period.

An oval tablet on certain, with military trophies, contains an inscription to colonel James Bringfield, aid-de-camp of the duke of Marlborough, &c. He lost his life when in the act of remounting, by a cannon-ball striking his head, at the battle of Ramillies, ; aged , and was buried at Bavechem, in Brabant. Clemence, his widow, erected this tablet the same year.

An assemblage of fire-arms, axes, swords, and banners, in marble, with a shield on them, was erected to brigadier-general Robert Killegrew, killed at the battle of Almanza, in Spain, , aged , and of his military life the year. This was sculptured by Bird.

Mrs. Mary Beaufoy, who died , is represented kneeling on another tomb, with cherubs about to crown her, and others weeping. She was daughter and heiress of sir Henry Beaufoy and the hon. Charlotte Lane; who, when the monument was erected was a widow: she informs us, that

young and old without distinction leave this world.

This monument was made by Mr. Grinlin Gibbons.

About feet before is a small white marble slab inscribed

O rare Ben Jonson.

In the window above is the simple, affecting, and exquisite monument by Bacon,

To the memory of Mrs. Anne Whytell, who died the

17th

August

,

1788

.

statues, full of beauty, and highly expressive of innocence and peace, lean gently against a pedestal, on which is an urn. An other stands in the same window by Banks. A statue, tall and wells executed, of a female resting her right hand on a lion, and holding

143

a medallion in her left, which is supported by a circular pedestal, as the only figure in the design. A pedestal at the back contains a pyramid, on which are the arms of Loten Hoeuff Seltus, Deutz Aerson, Van Jucken, Starick Van Linschoten, and others. It is a monument to the memory of governor Loten, with a long inscription; the lower part being a portion of the Psalm. He died .

Above is a neat marble slab, with the stern of a ship and naval trophies, to the memory of Captain John Stewart, who died , aged .

A monument of spiral Corinthian pillars on a pedestal festooned, with an urn on the centre pillar, and oval tablets in the intercolumniations: that to the left is inscribed to Thomas Mansell, who died , aged years; and the other to William Morgan, , aged .

In the centre of the next compartment is a pedestal, with a curtain for the inscription to Robert and Richard, sons of lord viscount Cholmondeley: the died in , aged ; and Richard . Adjoining a pedestal and bust, among books and medical emblems, by Scheemakers, is a monument to the memory of Dr. Richard Mead, with the following inscription:--

M. S. V. A. Richardi Mead. archiatri, antiqua apud Buckingenses familia nati; qui famam haud vulgarem medicinam faciendo in prima juventute adeptus tanta nominis celebritate postea inclaruit, ut medicorum hujus saeculi princeps baberetur. In aegris curandis lenis erat ac misericors, et ad paupers gratuito juvandos semper paratus Inter assiduas autem artis salutaris occupationes operibus non paucis docte et eleganter conscripts quae ingenio perspicaci et usu diuturno notaverat in generis humani commodum vulgavit. Literarum quoque et literatorum patronus singularis, bibliothecam lectissimam optimis et rarissimus libris veterumque artium monumentis refertam comparavit, ubi eruditorum colloquiis labores levabat diurnos. Animo itaque excelso praeditus, et moribus humanis orbisque literati laudibus undique cumulatus, magno splendere et dignitate vita peracta, annorum tandem ac famae salur, placide obiit

14

kalendas Martias, A.D.

1754

, aertatis suae

81

. Artium humaniorum damno haud facile reparabili, quibus ipse tantum fuerat decuset presidium. Bis matrimonio junctus ex priori decem suscepit liberos, quorum tres tantum superstites sibi reliquit; duas filias viris archiatrorum honore ornatis nuptas, et unum sui ipsius nominis filiam, qui pietatis causa patri optime de se merito monumentum hoc poni curavit.

On the western side is a plain slab to the memory of Edward Mansell, who died , aged . Above in the window, is a handsome sarcophagus, with a full-length recumbent figure of the lamented Spencer Perceval, who was assassinated by Bellingham, on the . Patriotism, Integrity, and Justice, personified by female figures, are represented mournfully contemplating the lifeless figure: above this group is a basso-relievo of the assassination, in which the members of the British parliament are absurdly attired in Roman dresses. This monument is by Westmacott, and no inscription has yet been placed on it.

On each side of this monument are tablets, with drapery, scrolls,

144

&c. to the memory of E. Herbert, esq. who died , and to Gilbert Thornburgh.

In the next compartment is a rostral column on a sarcophagus, with military trophies round the base, erected to the memory of John Baker, esq. vice admiral of the white, who died at Port Mahon, the , aged .

An adjoining sarcophagus, supporting a pyramid with a medallion on it, an anchor, and cannon, and naval instruments, is for Henry Priestman, esq. who was commander of a squadron of ships in the time of Charles II.; a commissioner of the navy, and for executing the office of high admiral of Great in the reign of William III. He died August , aged .

Above is a handsome monument by Flaxman, representing a female in agony reclining on a bier, on which is a medallion of the deceased,

To the memory of the most affectionate of brothers, George Lindsay Johnstone, esq. This monument is erected by his afflicted sister. His remains are interred in the south cloister.

The monument of Philip Carteret, son of lord George Carterel, who died at school, , aged , has a very good figure of Time inscribing some affecting and classical Latin lives in his praise, upon a label in his left hand: above him a bust of the deceased.

Another to Edward Carteret, son of sir Edward Carteret, , aged years; and a tablet to Thomas Levingston of Peebles, lieutenant-general, &c. who died , aged , occupy the compartment.

Above is a neat marble tablet, surmounted by a vase, to J. Stewart Denham, bart. who died , aged .

Entering the gates of the north aisle is a tablet to Robert lord Constable, viscount Dunbar, who died , aged ; and his wife, the countess of Westmoreland, who died , aged .

Dr. Peter Heylin's tablet was broken and decayed, but has been repaired and removed a little eastward to make room for Dr. Agar's: he was sub-dean and prebendary of this church, and died , aged .

In the centre arch, under the window, is the last monument that has been erected in this abbey; it is of exquisite workmanship, by J. Bacon, junior, whose skill and taste derogate nothing from those of his most excellent father. This monument, which is dated , is to the memory of Charles Agar, earl of Normanton, and archbishop of Dublin. His lordship is represented at full length, as also of his inferior clergy, standing on his left. He holds a book in his left hand inscribed

Let us not be weary in well doing.

On his right hand are a poor woman, but withal somewhat too richly attired, and children, the seated, and the other in her arms. A defect in the marble hurts the head of the

145

of these. A little lower is a kneeling figure of a decrepid old man, leaning on a crutch. An angel holds a mitre over the archbishop's head. Underneath the right arm of the archbishop, and in the back ground, is a circular tablet, on which is represented the cathedral church of Cashel, which he erected principally at his own expense.

Sacred to the memory of Charles Agar, D. D. earl of Normanton, and archbishop of Dublin. He was educated at

Westminster

school, and was a student at

Christ Church

, Oxford: in

1768

, he was consecrated bishop of Cloyne, in Ireland; and translated from thence to the archbishopric of Cashel in

1779

: in

1795

, he was created baron Somerton, of Somerton, in the county of Kilkenny; and viscount Somerton in

1800

: in the following year he became archbishop of Dublin; and, in

1806

, was created earl of Normanton, He departed this life on the

14th of July, 1809

, aged

72

years: and rests near this spot, in the same grave with his uncle the right honourable Welbore Ellis, baron Mendip. In the course of his episcopal labours, no less than

seventeen

churches and

twenty-two

glebe houses for the residence of his clergy, were built under his direction and assistance; and he erected principally, at his own expense, the cathedral church of Cashel. As a statesman and a prelate, he was an able and zealous supporter of the religion which he professed and taught, and of the country at whose councils he assisted. His care for the welfare of the church is testified by the numerous acts of parliament which he framed for its permanent regulation and support. The perfect state in which his dioceses were left, and the veneration impressed by hi talents and virtues on the hearts of those over whom e presided, are far nobler monuments than any which can he erected to his memory.

Another is to Charles Williams, of Caerleon, esq. He died , aged .

The next is a handsome monument, with busts on a medallion, a sleeping and weeping boy, and a sepulchral lamp, by Cheere.

Near this monument, in

one

grave, in the middle isle, are deposited the remains of sir Edmund Prideaux, of Nethertoo, in the county of Devon, baronet; and dame Anne, his wife. He departed this life

February 26, 1728

, in the

55th

year of his age; and she May

10,1741

, aged

55

years.

Another to captain Richard Le Neve, who was commander of the Edgar, and killed at the age of , in an engagement with the Dutch, . Farther east is a very handsome pedestal, with a good bust, and trophies.

Sacred to the memory of Temple West, esq. who dedicating himself from his earliest youth to the naval service of his country, rose with merit and reputation to the rank of vice-admiral of the white; sagacious, active, industrious; he was a skilful seaman, cool, intrepid, and resolute; he approved himself a gallant officer in the signal victory obtained over the French,

May the 3

d,

1747

; he was captain of the ship which carried sir Peter Warren, and acquired peculiar honour, even on that day of general glory, in the less successful engagement near Minorca,

May 20, 1756

, wherein, as rear-admiral, he commanded the

second

division; his distinguished courage, and animating example, were admired by the whole British squadron, confessed by that of France, and, amid the national discontent which followed, rewarded, as they deserved, by the warmest applause of his country, and the just approbation of his sovereign. On the

17th of November

following, he was appointed

one

of the lords commissioners of the Admiralty: he adorned this station by a modesty which concealed from him his own merit, and a candour which disposed him to reward that of others. With these public talents, he possessed the milder graces of domestic life; to the

frank and generous spirit of an officer, he added the ease and politeness of a gentleman; and with the moral and social virtues of a good man, be exercised the duties of a Christian. A life so honourable to himself, so dear to his friends, so useful to his country, was ended at the age of

43

. A. D.

1757

. To preserve to posterity his fame and his example, this monument was erected by the daughter of the brave unfortunate Balchen, the wife of Temple West, A. D.

1761

.

Above is a sarcophagus ornamented with Greek tiles, &c. and on the front is an alto-relievo of a gentleman seated, apparently discoursing with an Indian, to the memory of sir George Leonard Staunton, bart. who died .

The next is a pedestal, with a bust, and a representation of an organ on the base.

The angles of the arches have been cut to admit the mouths of sepulchral lamps with gilt flames.

To the memory of William Croft, Mus. Doc. died

14th Aug. 1727

.

Dr. John Blow's tablet which adjoins, informs us he was organist, composer, and master of the children of the chapel royal for years; and organist of the abbey . He was the pupil of Gibbons, and the master of Purcell; and died the , aged . Under the tablet is a music book open; being

A canon of

four

parts in

one

, by Dr. John Blow.

Underneath is a plain slab to Charles Burney, Mus. D. F.R.S. born , died .

The last on the wall is a monument, by Cheere, of porphyry and white marble, beautifully inlaid with shells, tied by strings of beads, and a large shell for the inscription; under it is a bas-relief of an engagement at sea, above it a weeping child, and another withdrawing a curtain, shewing a bust on a medallion,

Sacred to the memory of Philip de Sausmarez, esq.

one

of the few whose lives ought rather to be measured by their actions than days, from

16

to

37

years of age, he served in the navy, and was often surrounded with dangers and difficulties unparalleled, always approving himself an able, active, and gallant officer. He went out a lieutenant on board his majesty's ship the Centurion, under the auspicious conduct of commodore Anson, in his expedition to the South Sea. He was commanding officer of the said ship when she was driven from her moorings at the Isle of Tinian, in the year

1746

, being captain of the Nottingham, a

60

gun ship, he, then alone, attacked and took the Mars, a French ship of

64

guns, in the

first

engagement of the following year, when admiral Anson defeated and took a squadron of French men of war, and Indiamen, he had an honourable share, and in the

second

under admiral Hawke, when the enemy, after a long and obstinate resistance were again defeated, in pursuing

two

ships that were making their escape, he gloriously but unfortunately fell. He was the son of Matthew de Sausmarez, of the island of Guernsey, esq. by Ann Durell, of the island of Jersey, his wife. He was born

November 17, 1710

, killed

October 14, 1747

, buried in the old church, Plymouth, with all the honours due to his distinguished merit; and this monument is erected out of gratitude and affection, by his brothers and sisters.

On the east side of the door leading into the choir, is the monument to the memory of the eminent statesman Charles James Fox. He is represented in a recumbent posture falling into the arms of Liberty; at his feet is Peace lamenting the loss of whose

147

voice had so often been raised in her behalf, and an African negro testifying his gratitude for the patriotic efforts of Mr. Fox to abolish the slave trade. This monument is by Westmacott, and has no inscription; this and Mr. Percival's monument were set up in .

Against the choir is the tomb of sir Thomas Heskett, who died in the year ; his broken effigies of stone in close garments and ruff lies, under a slightly marked Corinthian canopy, with columns of the same order, on a handsome pedestal; the tomb has been richly painted and gilt, but is considerably injured. A clumsy urn on a pedestal near it is to the memory of dame Mary James, who died anno .

In the next intercolumniation westerly is a very good monument to H. Chamberlain, by Scheemakers and Delvaux: his statue reclines on a sarcophagus under an arched pediment; the mourning females on the sides do credit to the artists. holds a serpent, the other a shield, having a lion and eagle.

On the next pillar is a neat marble tablet to Dr. Samuel Arnold, who died , aged . On the other side a scroll tablet.

Here lyes Henry Purcell, who left this life, and is gone to that blessed place where only his harmony can be exceeded. Obiit

21

die Novembris, anno aetatis sure

37

, anno domini

1695

.

In the next intercolumniation is a most beautiful pyramidal monument by J. Bacon, junior, a female weeping on a pedestal. It is to the memory of captain George Bryan, who was killed in , at the battle of Talavera.

A very indifferent performance, further west, was erected to Almericus Courcy, lord Courcy and baron Kinsale of Ireland, who died , aged . His effigy in Roman armour is reclining on a sarcophagus supported by boys. On a cushion is a coronet. Next to this is a pyramidal tablet, with a small neat medallion, to the memory of Dr. John Plenderleath, physician in the army under the duke of Wellington. He died at Coimbra, . This is likewise by the younger Bacon, and does him great credit. On a pillar the tablet of sir Thomas Duppa, , aged , and the last next the nave is a most wretched broken tomb to dame Elizabeth Carteret, who died , aged .

The communication through the piers ceases at the nave. shields of the contributors to the building of this glorious church remain tolerably perfect; are much decayed, but the inscriptions are not legible; they are hung by sculptured straps, over heads which project from the wall. The key-stones of the roof are the head of a man surrounded by apes, a satyr drawing a bow, and others of foliage. of the arches remain, though battered. The is nearly gone.

In the north tower is a circular staircase, leading perpendicularly to a level with the roof of the church; after which it ascends on

148

the opposite side to the leads of the tower; whence a most expanded and beautiful prospect is seen on sides, the south tower hiding the .

The belle are in number.

On the oldest is this inscription,

IHV DI NOS + CRISTE.

On the great bell,

Remember John Whitmell, Isabel his wife, and William Rus, who first gave this bell, 1430.

New cast in July 1599, and in April 1738, by Richard Phelps and T. Leater

others have on them,

Patrem audate, donantibus cultum. Gabriell

Goodman Decanus,

1598

.

Another,

T. Lester made me,

1743

.

And the ,

Thomas Lester, of London, made me,

And with the rest I will agree.

1743

.

The font is in the consistory court; it is an octagon, with pannels, quaterfoils, and shields, on a shaft.

 
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
g158bt43n
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
CHAPTER I: Site, local divisions, and government of the City of Westminster; history of the Abbey; Coronation Ceremonies; and lists of the Abbots and Deans
CHAPTER II: Westminster Abbey, and Description of the Tombs and Monuments
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of St. Margaret's Parish
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of St. John's Parish, Westminster
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of the parish of St. Martin's in the Fields, Westminster
CHAPTER VI: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. James, Westminster
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Anne, Westminster
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Paul, Covent Garden
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Mary-le-strand
CHAPTER X: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. Clement Danes
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of the parish of st. George, Hanover Square
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of the Precinct of the Savoy
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of the Inns of Court
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of the Precincts of the Charter-house and Ely Place, and the Liberty of the Rolls
 CHAPTER XV: Historical Notices of the Borough of Southwark
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Olave, Southwark
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of the parish of St. John, Southwark
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Thomas, Southwark
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. George's, Southwark
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of St. Saviour's Parish
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of the parist of Christ-church in the County of Surrey
 CHAPTER XXII: A List of the Principal Books, &c that have been published in Illustration of the Antiquities, History, Topography, and other subjects treated of in this Work
 Addenda et Corrigienda
 Postscript