The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 4

Allen, Thomas

1827

Earl of Lancaster's Tomb.

The duke of Lancaster's had a painting on its basement, which has been nearly destroyed through age, want of cleaning, and other causes. In many places the stone is bare; and it is nearly impossible to make out the figures, or distinguish what the colours leave been. They appear to be knights conquerors leading their prisoners, from the triumphant attitudes of some, and the downcast looks of others. They are paired, and there is a general similarity of expression in the figures. The effigies of the duke lie

88

crosslegged under a grand canopy of great and smaller arches, enriched in a manner even more magnificent than that of Valence's. Upon the pediment were angels on brackets, and a knight on horseback within a trefoil, and niches on the side of the tomb. This and the preceding monument have been recently repaired, and the broken parts restored.

Near this monument is a plain slab removed from St. John the Baptist's chapel, with a brass effigy of sir John Herpeden, who died .

In the north aisle, opposite to Henry III.'s tomb, is a brass figure, representing John Windsor, a parasite of the court of Edward III. and who married that king's mistress, Alice Perrers; he died on Easter eve, . The inscription still remains.

Est bis septem' Mo Xpi C quat' annis Vesp' a pas chalis du' septia' lux fit Aprilis, Tra'sui a mu'do Jon Wyndsore no'ie notus Corde geme's mu'do confessus crimine lot' Fecerat heredem Gwillelm avu'ci' 'istu Miles & armigeru' dign' de noi'e dignu' Dn' fuvenilis erat bello m'ltos p'mebat Postea penituit & e'or v'lnera flevit

Occu'hens obiit hic nu'e in carne quiescit

Vivat in ei'num spiritus ante deum.

It has caused some dispute whether the small burial place of abbot slip, and the chapel of St. Erasmus were not the same. would almost imagine the writers who confound them had never been in the church. Whatever may have been the original state of the abbot's chapel, as it is called, it certainly is separate, and always has been from that of St. Erasmus. On examining the ichnography, the former will be found to answer the square chapel of St. Benedict directly opposite, in the south aisle. The place just mentioned is nearly open to the transept, and on the north side. It is therefore plain that Islip did no more than build the present screen, and make a floor for a chantry, to which there is now a flight of wooden steps, and at the entrance a small door leading to the place where he lies. Dart says, he cannot find the site of chapels dedicated to St. Catherine and St. Anne.

The door was surmounted by a statue, but only its bracket remains, and .

The basement of the screen is composed of quatrefoils containing roses and fleurs de lis, and over them a row of arches. The next division is divided by buttresses into windows of mullions, with ranges of arches in height. The frieze contains or reliefs of his rebus, most absurdly conceived, being an eye, and a slip, or branch of a tree, and his name at length. The most beautiful part is niches above, with canopies of great taste and delicate workmanship.

89

 

Farther to the east is another specimen of those exquisite performances of niches, and triple canopies, with their minute ribs; foliages, &c. and a row of quatrefoils at the base. That this was the abbot's work we have a proof at the sides in a rebus of a hand holding a slip.

The recess is filled, without injury to it, by a neat tablet, inscribed,

Beatam resurrectionem hic expectat revdus adenodum in Christo pater Gulielmus Barnard, S. T. P. hujus ecclesiae collegiatae primo alumnus, deindo prebendarius Roffensis, postea decanus: hinc ad episcopatum in Hibernia, Raposensem

1744

, Derensam

1747

. A rege Georgio Secundo provectus in pauperibus sublevandis, in ecclesis reficiendus instituendis, dosandis. Quantum exeruit munificentiam; diaecesis ila, cui annos plus viginti praefuit diu sentiet, et agnoscet. In angliam valetudinis causa reversus Londini decessit Jan. ista D.

1768

, aetatis

72

.

of the small pillars on a great column having been cut away for the alterations made by Islip, it has been supported by a bracket carved into his rebus, which we find repeated in the window of the chantry in panes of coloured glass. And round this place, once used only for prayers for the deceased, stand clumsy presses faced with glass, through which the curious may view the stiff waxen figures of king William, queen Mary, and queen Anne, duchess of Richmond and Buckingham, Nelson and lord Chatham.

The robes and other parts of the dress of the late lord Chatham are preserved on a well-executed effigy by Mrs. Wright. The face is probably as well done as wax will permit; but such representations are never pleasing; there is something particularly disagreeable in the glass eyes. Fragments of portraits on the sides of the site of the altar were hid by these presses, but they have been recently removed with other ancient remains and framed and glazed near Poets' Corner.

The inside of the chapel or burial-place is hid from view by a fence of rough boards nailed across the arches.

 
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
g158bt43n
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
CHAPTER I: Site, local divisions, and government of the City of Westminster; history of the Abbey; Coronation Ceremonies; and lists of the Abbots and Deans
CHAPTER II: Westminster Abbey, and Description of the Tombs and Monuments
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of St. Margaret's Parish
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of St. John's Parish, Westminster
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of the parish of St. Martin's in the Fields, Westminster
CHAPTER VI: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. James, Westminster
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Anne, Westminster
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Paul, Covent Garden
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Mary-le-strand
CHAPTER X: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. Clement Danes
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of the parish of st. George, Hanover Square
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of the Precinct of the Savoy
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of the Inns of Court
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of the Precincts of the Charter-house and Ely Place, and the Liberty of the Rolls
 CHAPTER XV: Historical Notices of the Borough of Southwark
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Olave, Southwark
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of the parish of St. John, Southwark
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Thomas, Southwark
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. George's, Southwark
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of St. Saviour's Parish
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of the parist of Christ-church in the County of Surrey
 CHAPTER XXII: A List of the Principal Books, &c that have been published in Illustration of the Antiquities, History, Topography, and other subjects treated of in this Work
 Addenda et Corrigienda
 Postscript