The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 4

Allen, Thomas

1827

This parish is of considerable extent, and its boundary is as follows: commencing on the north side of , thence by the end of Wycomb-place, and , across the , on the east side of the to St. Thomas-a- Watering, across the road to the west side of the , thence in a northerly direction across Townsend and Salisbury streets, and the by the north side of Portland-place to , up which it traverses to , thence by and to the Fishmongers' alms-houses, by the north side of , between St. George's-mall and

470

Mead's-row; on the west side of , Baron's-buildings and , across on the north side of and , up the , and across Redcross-street to the Borough.

During the plague in

1625

, the parish agreed to pay double poor's rates.

In , the amount of the tax was In , there were houses; in , ; in , ; and in , , besides building. The great increase in the number of houses arose from this circumstance: Mr. Hedger, who had kept the Dog and Duck, and had acquired money, took a lease from the city of London for years, of a large tract of their land in fields, much of which was in this parish. By his lease he was restrained from building on the ground under a penalty; but he immediately paid the penalty, and began setting up a multitude of wretched houses, many of which hardly stood to the end of the term. His lease being expired, the city immediately set about removing these heaps of rubbish, and have let their land to respectable persons, who have erected some very handsome streets.

 
 
Footnotes:

[] From the parish books.

This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
g158bt43n
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
CHAPTER I: Site, local divisions, and government of the City of Westminster; history of the Abbey; Coronation Ceremonies; and lists of the Abbots and Deans
CHAPTER II: Westminster Abbey, and Description of the Tombs and Monuments
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of St. Margaret's Parish
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of St. John's Parish, Westminster
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of the parish of St. Martin's in the Fields, Westminster
CHAPTER VI: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. James, Westminster
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Anne, Westminster
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Paul, Covent Garden
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Mary-le-strand
CHAPTER X: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. Clement Danes
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of the parish of st. George, Hanover Square
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of the Precinct of the Savoy
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of the Inns of Court
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of the Precincts of the Charter-house and Ely Place, and the Liberty of the Rolls
 CHAPTER XV: Historical Notices of the Borough of Southwark
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Olave, Southwark
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of the parish of St. John, Southwark
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Thomas, Southwark
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. George's, Southwark
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of St. Saviour's Parish
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of the parist of Christ-church in the County of Surrey
 CHAPTER XXII: A List of the Principal Books, &c that have been published in Illustration of the Antiquities, History, Topography, and other subjects treated of in this Work
 Addenda et Corrigienda
 Postscript