The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 4
In this was an open field, without houses of any kind in its immediate neighbourhood; but it appears in the plans of London of , and the houses round it were built soon after the accession of the present family to the throne of these kingdoms. Both in the square, and in adjoining, there are several specimens of the German style of building. occupies a space of about acres; the middle is enclosed with a handsome iron railing.
In a periodical publication of early date, appears the following paragraph:
In the same publication of the preceding year, are the following observations:
On the east side of is an elegant concert-room, principally used by the members of the ancient concerts, which is a branch that seceded from the academy of ancient music. It is under the superintendance of directors, who are chosen from among the nobility. The leading feature is the utter exclusion of all modern music. The vocal performers are always of the class and are liberally paid.
On the north side is Harewood-house, which was originally built from an elegant design of the Adams's, for the duke of Roxburgh. After the death of the original proprietor it was purchased by lord Harewood, from whom it received its present name.
On the west side of , nearly opposite the Argyle rooms, is
 The Weekly Medley for Sept. 1718.