The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 4

Allen, Thomas

1827

St. Paul's Chapel

Has a skreen on the eastern side of the door, formed by the tomb of lord Bouchier and his lady. It is bounded by buttresses, at the base of which are a lion and an eagle supporting banners of arms. A heavy arch covers the boarded top of the tomb, in shape like coffins. The sides contain shields within garters, on quatrefoils: on the top of the arch is his shield, helmet, and crest; behind it a buttress, and on each side ranges of pointed arches; between them, nearly obliterated coats of arms. Over the rows of arches other coats; the upper held by painted angels, which cannot be traced without climbing. On the frieze is the half decayed inscription of

Non nobis D'ne, non nobis sed nomini tuo da gloriam

; and another quite illegible. He died in . The whole must have been exceedingly splendid when the painting and gilding were perfect.

and battlements are continued over the door.

The western half of the screen is covered by a monument, (Wilton, sculp.)

To the memory of William Pultney, earl of Bath, by his brother, the hon. Harry Pulteney, general of his majesty's forces,

1767

. Obiit

July 1764

, aetatis

81

.

92

 

It is certainly a beautiful tomb, and the figures recline gracefully on the urn. A good medallion of the earl hangs above.

The altar of St. Paul afforded to those who heard mass at it years and days indulgence.

Francis lord Cottington has been a close attendant since the year ; for his tomb hides every race of its place.

That to Francis, countess of Sussex, which adjoins it, is, or rather has been, very magnificent. It is composed of porphyry and other valuable materials, but miserably corroded and mouldered, even to some inches in depth; the date ; her age .

Dudley Carleton, viscount Dorchester, in his robes, coronet, ruff, and pointed beard, is a poor figure; and the Ionic pediment above is as tasteless as the pedestal on which he reclines.

Sir Thomas , in the chancellor's gown, lies under a grand composite arch on a sarcophagus; on the side of which sons kneel in armour, and daughters. He died , aged .

The formal effigies of sir James Fullerton and his lady are on an altar-tomb, with a plain arch in the wall, containing an inscription that his

remnant

lies here; and quibbles upon his name thus:

He died

fuller

of faith than of fears;

fuller

of resolution than of pains;

fuller

of honour than of days.

Sir John Pickering's monument is another of those erected in the time of queen Elizabeth; and, like most of that period, lavishly adorned with statues, pillars of the richest orders, arches, heavy obelisks, and complicated scroll-work of fine marbles, painted and gilded. He died at the age of , in the year . His wife is at his right hand; and daughters kneel before a desk at the foot of the tomb.

The altar-tomb of alabaster, supporting the figures of sir Giles de Aubeny, and his lady, stands nearly in the midst of the chapel. He is represented in complete armour, his head on his helmet, and in the collar and mantle of the order of the garter. He died . It was richly gilt.

Against the back of the earl of Bath's monument is consisting of a pedestal, sarcophagus, and pyramid, by Scheemakers, inscribed:

In this chapel lies interred sir Henry Bellasyse, of Brancepeth Castle, in the county palatine of Durham, lieutenant-general of the forces in Flanders under king William the

Third

, sometime governor of Galway. in Ireland, and afterwards of Berwick upon Tweed, lineally descended from Rowland Bellasyse,--of Bellasyse, in the county of Durham, son of Belasius,

one

of the Norman generals who came into England with William the Conqueror, and was knighted by him. He married

first

, Dorothy, daughter of Tobias Jenkyn, esq. of Grimston, and widow of Robert Benson, esq. of Wrenthorpe, both in the county of York, and by her had issue Mary, Thomas, and Elizabeth, all of whom he survived. By his

second

wife, Fleetwood, daughter of Nicholas Shuttleworth, esq,

second

son of Richard Shuttleworth. esq. of Gawthorp, in the county palatine of Lancaster, he had William, his heir, and Margaret, who died in her infancy. He died the

16th of December, 1717

, in the

70th

yeas of his age. Near to him are buried

his

two

ladies, and Mary, his eldest daughter; also Mrs. Bridges Bellasyse, wife of William Bellasyse, esq. only daughter and heiress of Robert Billingsly, esq. who died the

28th of July, 1735

, in the

21st

year of her age, leaving an only daughter.

Near this is a new monumental tablet of white marble, having a weeping female figure leaning on a broken rampart, on which is the word BADAJOS, at the siege of which was slain lieutenant Charles Macleod, to whose memory this monument is erected.

On the pavement:

Sir Henry Bellasyse, knt He was made lieutenant-general of his late majesty king William's forces in Flanders in the year

1695

. He died

December the 16th, 1717

, in the

70th

year of his age.

--

Here lies interred the body of dame Fleetwood Bellasyse, widow and relict of the hon. sir Henry Bellasyse, of Brancepeth Castle, in the county of Durham, esq. obiit

11th February 1769

, aetates

72

.

-

Underneath lies the body of Bridget Bellasyse, only daughter of William Bellasyse, of Brancepeth Castle, in the county palatine of Durham, esq. She changed this life for a better the

5th day of April, 1774

, aged

88

years.

Here lieth the body of the right hon. Sarah Hussey, countess of Tyrcounel. Obiit

October the 7th 1733

.

silken banners of those ladies are suspended over them.

In the aisle, against the tomb of William of Colchester, is a monument

To the memory of Charles Holmes, esq rear-admiral of the white. He died the

21st of November, 1761

. commander of his majesty's fleet stationed at Jamaica, aged

50

. Erected by his grateful nieces, Mary Stanwix and Lucretia Towle.

It is the work of Wilton; and a great statue of the admiral, in Roman armour, is made to rest on an English eighteen-pounder, mounted on a sea carriage. At his feet is a cable, remarkably correct, and well coiled, in the seaman's phrase.

I am compelled to pass over the numerous stones and inscriptions which appear on the pavement of this transept, though many of them are in a very high degree interesting as records of the worth, the greatness, and the virtues of some of our ancestors.

In the window over the entrance to Henry the 's chapel are figures in stained glass. The is intended for Christ, who is distinguished by a crown of thorns. The Virgin Mary is depicted with dishevelled hair, and a straw-coloured nimbus. King Edward the Confessor is in royal robes, on the exterior of which are several large initial letters E. St. John is represented as a pilgrim. On the inner robe is the initial letter J. several times repeated. St. Augustine is habited as a pilgrim, and bishop Mellitus is splendidly arrayed in his ecclesiastical robes with the letter M.

In the area before Henry the 's chapel, is a large grey stone, with almost obliterated figure of a religieuse; it was placed in its present situation on the rebuilding of that structure, having formerly stood in chapel which was pulled down by Henry . It belonged to abbot Berkyng, who died in .

 
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
g158bt43n
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
CHAPTER I: Site, local divisions, and government of the City of Westminster; history of the Abbey; Coronation Ceremonies; and lists of the Abbots and Deans
CHAPTER II: Westminster Abbey, and Description of the Tombs and Monuments
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of St. Margaret's Parish
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of St. John's Parish, Westminster
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of the parish of St. Martin's in the Fields, Westminster
CHAPTER VI: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. James, Westminster
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Anne, Westminster
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Paul, Covent Garden
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Mary-le-strand
CHAPTER X: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. Clement Danes
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of the parish of st. George, Hanover Square
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of the Precinct of the Savoy
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of the Inns of Court
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of the Precincts of the Charter-house and Ely Place, and the Liberty of the Rolls
 CHAPTER XV: Historical Notices of the Borough of Southwark
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Olave, Southwark
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of the parish of St. John, Southwark
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Thomas, Southwark
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. George's, Southwark
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of St. Saviour's Parish
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of the parist of Christ-church in the County of Surrey
 CHAPTER XXII: A List of the Principal Books, &c that have been published in Illustration of the Antiquities, History, Topography, and other subjects treated of in this Work
 Addenda et Corrigienda
 Postscript