The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 4

Allen, Thomas

1827

Grosvenor Square

owes its origin. It is on the south side of , and contains acres of ground. The houses by which it is surrounded, are, though not uniform, extremely magnificent. The fronts are built partly of stone, but some are of brick and stone, and others of rubbed brick, with only their quoins, facios, windows, and door-cases of stone.

In the centre is a spacious garden, laid out by Kent. The disposition of the walks, and the distribution of the shrubs and trees, are pleasing, and have a picturesque effect in every point of view. In the centre was, until lately, a gilt equestrian statue of George I. This statue was made by Van Nost, and was erected by sir Richard

360

 

Grosvenor in the year , near the redoubt called Oliver's Mount. Some villains in the ensuing March dismembered it in the most shameful manner, and affixed a traitorous paper to the pedestal.

In the year , the centre house, on the east side of this square was raffled for, and won by persons named Hunt and Braithwaite. The possessor valued it at ; but the winners sold it months afterwards for to the duke of Norfolk. The house was built by Mr. Simmons, on ground held by sir Richard Grosvenor for years from , at a ground rent of per annum.

It has already been remarked, that the houses in this square are of various kinds of architecture but those on the east side are of a regular and uniform plan, and greatly superior in effect to the others, though some of the houses on the north side may be more superb.

extends eastward from the square into , and consists of a great number of excellent houses, the majority of which are inhabited by titled persons and affluent families.

According to Maitland, at the south-east angle of , was a ducking pond

and

three

forts on the line of communication, drawn round the city and suburbs of London, by order of parliament, in the year

1643

.

One

at the lower end of Brudon-street, another at the place called Oliver's Mount, and the

third

at the end of Tyburn lane, Hide

Park road

.

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Mal. Lond. ut sup.This statue and the one in Berkeley square have been taken away, and not replaced; for what purpose it is impossible to say. There are few statues in the metropolis. and therefore it is to be regretted that any should be taken away, as the two above have been, apparently without any cogent reason or excuse.

[] Gent. Mag. 1739.

This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
g158bt43n
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
CHAPTER I: Site, local divisions, and government of the City of Westminster; history of the Abbey; Coronation Ceremonies; and lists of the Abbots and Deans
CHAPTER II: Westminster Abbey, and Description of the Tombs and Monuments
CHAPTER III: History and Topography of St. Margaret's Parish
CHAPTER IV: History and Topography of St. John's Parish, Westminster
CHAPTER V: History and Topography of the parish of St. Martin's in the Fields, Westminster
CHAPTER VI: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. James, Westminster
CHAPTER VII: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Anne, Westminster
CHAPTER VIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Paul, Covent Garden
CHAPTER IX: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Mary-le-strand
CHAPTER X: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. Clement Danes
CHAPTER XI: History and Topography of the parish of st. George, Hanover Square
CHAPTER XII: History and Topography of the Precinct of the Savoy
CHAPTER XIII: History and Topography of the Inns of Court
CHAPTER XIV: History and Topography of the Precincts of the Charter-house and Ely Place, and the Liberty of the Rolls
 CHAPTER XV: Historical Notices of the Borough of Southwark
CHAPTER XVI: History and Topography of the Parish of St. Olave, Southwark
CHAPTER XVII: History and Topography of the parish of St. John, Southwark
CHAPTER XVIII: History and Topography of the parish of St. Thomas, Southwark
CHAPTER XIX: History and Topogrpahy of the parish of St. George's, Southwark
CHAPTER XX: History and Topography of St. Saviour's Parish
CHAPTER XXI: History and Topography of the parist of Christ-church in the County of Surrey
 CHAPTER XXII: A List of the Principal Books, &c that have been published in Illustration of the Antiquities, History, Topography, and other subjects treated of in this Work
 Addenda et Corrigienda
 Postscript