Here and There at Tufts
The first brass band of Tufts College was organized in 1884 under the leadership of C. F. Borden, '85, who played the E-flat cornet. Beside the leader there we're three cornets, two altos, two tenors, an E-flat bass, piccolo, tenor drum, bass drum, and cymbals.
However, this organization did not last long, and a college band was not formed again until the spring of 1903 when the question of having such an organization was agitated. Ivy Society took the matter up, and sufficient interest was evinced to warrant a definite organization. Professor Lewis was willing to undertake the direction of the rehearsals, giving the effort his hearty co-operation and support. Through an appropriation of the College Bookstore a number of instruments were purchased on the advice of Professor Lewis and Jean Missud of the Salem Cadet Band. The work was not very promising since many of the men were inexperienced and the majority were undergraduates; still this effort was not entirely successful, although it served to pave the way.
In the fall of 1905 Professor Lewis again took up the work of organizing a band, and Dow, '09, of the Medical School was elected leader.
From then until the fall of 1907 the band existed but not very definitely. In the fall of 1907 the work was again taken up with much success, and it seems as though at last the wish for a college band has been realized. Excellent work was done on the Bowdoin Trip and much pride is taken in the organization. C. E. Soper, '10 has been elected leader. The Musical Clubs have voted $100 toward the purchase of musical instruments, while the women of the College have loyally aided, by the working of coverings for the band instruments.