Here and There at Tufts
Eaton Memorial Library
In 1905 a gift of $100,000 from Mr. Andrew Carnegie made possible the erection of the new Library. Ground was broken in the spring of 1906. The building is of brick faced with marble. The approach is imposing, the steps rising in tiers to an impressive portico. The library contains reading rooms and rooms for the libraries of the various departments. The stack extends from basement to roof and is amply sufficient for the needs of the College. Steam heat and electric lighting are installed throughout. The new library fills a real need, for the old library was much too small for the rapid increase of books. In 1907 the name was changed at the request of Mrs. Carnegie to that of the Eaton Memorial Library, in remembrance of Dr. Chas. H. Eaton, a graduate of the Tufts Divinity School, '74, and the College of Letters, '77. He received an honorary D.D. in 1887. Dr. Eaton was a polished and scholarly preacher, and the dedication of this magnificent library is a well-deserved tribute to this able and learned son of Tufts.