Here and There at Tufts
In 1886, the rapidly growing student body made imperative the erection of a new dormitory, and Dean Hall was built. Funds for this purpose had been bequeathed by the late Oliver Dean, one of the largest donors to the College, and the founder of Dean Academy. The building is three stories in height, of brick trimmed with sandstone, and its rooms are among the finest on the Hill. It is heated throughout by steam and lighted by gas; the rooms are arranged in suites consisting of study and two bedrooms. It is situated behind the Gymnasium and faces on the old campus. Although not the most beautiful dormitory in the world, yet its rooms are in great demand on account of their comfort and arrangement. The student body has grown so rapidly in the last few years that part of Paige, the Theological School dormitory, has been required for the Engineering students.