Here and There at Tufts

Doane, Lewis

1907

The Power Station

The Power Station is equipped with a one hundred and twenty-five horse-power boiler which supplies heat and power to the engineering buildings. The boiler is piped and equipped for experimental work in steam engineering and may be run by forced or natural draft.

The engine room contains a forty horse-power Harrisburg Standard engine directly coupled to a twenty-five Killowatt, one hundred and twenty-five volt direct current General Electric generator which is used to furnish light and power to the engineering buildings. A ten horse-power Columbia gas engine belted to a direct current generator serves for auxiliary power and testing purposes.

There is a twelve pole Mordey alternator having a two ton rotating field which is connected with a Sturtevant engine and used for experimental purposes; the Mordey alternator having been designed and constructed in the workshops of the College. A twenty-five horse-power Buckeye engine with an Alden absorption dynamometer is also used for the experimental course in steam engineering. A storage battery of sixty elements furnishes current for lighting, power, and laboratory purposes.

An extension of the Power Station building provides accommodation for the Forge Shop and Foundry, the former being equipped with twenty-one forges together with the necessary tools for conducting the courses of this department.

G. C. A.

 
Description
  • Here and There at Tufts, was published by the class of 1909 as an early form of a yearbook. The text includes photographs and histories of academic buildings, dormitories, former deans and presidents, classrooms, fraternities, athletic teams, and student organizations.
This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
mg74qx67f
Component ID:
tufts:UA069.005.DO.00094
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights