Here and There at Tufts
The early records of Glee Club work at Tufts College are very fragmentary. Several short-lived quartets and clubs were formed, and the "College Glee Club" of 1876-77 laid the foundation of that reputation which the Glee Club has long held, through a short Maine trip; but it was not until the year 1884-85 that the record of the beginnings of the present Glee Club was formed.
During the year 1884-85, Prof. Leo R. Lewis, '87, then a student, called several meetings of the students in an endeavor to arouse enthusiasm for the formation of a Glee Club. Little genuine interest was evidenced so that the effort was abandoned until the following year, when better success ensued. A club was formed which began work as a choir, singing for the first time in chapel, Sunday, December 27, 1885. The following March the Club made its first appearance in the field of regular Glee Club work, at an entertainment in the Universalist Church of East Cambridge. During this season D. L. Maulsby, '87; L. R. Lewis, '87; C. H. Patterson, '87; and J. H. Holden, '88, acted as readers. Professor Lewis directed this first successful season.
From October 1, 1889 to April 1, 1890 the Club was leased to G. A. Jones of Boston, the contract terms giving him exclusive control of all engagements during that time, not more than two a week or on two consecutive nights, save those of the Christmas trip and the concerts on the Hill.
Since '92 the Club has been under the guidance of Professor Lewis and has maintained an enviable reputation.