Here and There at Tufts
Goddard Chapel, erected in 1883, is the gift of Mrs. Mary T. Goddard, as a memorial of her husband, Thomas A. Goddard. It is built of stone, cruciform in design with but one transept carried to completion. On the south side a triple-arched cloister connects the transept with the western entrance; the massive tower on the north side may be seen for miles around. The interior is simple yet churchly; the walls of the nave are tiled with brick to a height of seven feet, forming above a Roman arch. At the east is the chancel with a simple communion table in the centre, and at the right and left, lectern and pulpit. Around the sides are " faculty seats." The magnificent chancel window represents St. Paul with sword and Holy Bible in hand. Beneath the window is a bronze bust of President Capen. In the transept is a memorial tablet in honor of the Tufts men who served during the Civil War.
The Chapel is the centre of religious life at Tufts. Daily morning prayers are held, and on Sundays, evening prayer and sermon. During Lent vespers are held mid-week.
Aside from the religious life, much supremely collegiate centers here. During the academic year, Tower Cross conducts lectures and musicals here, the Glee Club gives mid-year concerts, and debates are conducted here. On Class Day the Seniors hold their last morning exercises in the chapel.
Perhaps the greatest event of all is Commencement. Then the long procession of Seniors and Faculty attired in academic gowns, proceeds to the Chapel, where the degrees and final honors are conferred.
From the first day as a freshman until the graduate departs, the Chapel has been a part of the college life, and it has left an unforgettable impression.
H. C. G.