Here and There at Tufts
Robinson Hall, erected in 1900 through the generosity of the heirs of the late Charles Robinson, a former president of the Board of Trustees, is occupied by the Department of Engineering. The building is of red brick and terra cotta with granite underpinning and portico, and is one hundred and twenty feet long by fifty feet wide.
Nine years ago when the plans for the building were being prepared and its exact location was being determined, it was urged by Dean Anthony and his advisers that room should be left for another closely adjacent engineering building of even greater dimensions. This proposition was hardly taken seriously by those representing the Trustees, who affirmed that the time when Tufts College would require an additional engineering building was so remote that it need give the present generation no concern. But to-day engineering classes are meeting in the dining room of Curtis Hall, and any considerable increase in the number of students would require another building. And this increase is likely to occur, for more and more the world is entrusting the stupendous interests of its commerce and its industries to the technical graduate. Each year sees a greater demand for the engineering graduates of Tufts College. Last year we had calls for between two or three times as many men as received diplomas.
W. L. H.