The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 2

Allen, Thomas

1828

Weavers. 42.

. on a chevron between leopard's heads , each having in the mouth a shuttle of the last, as many roses seeded of the , barbed . A leopard's head or, ducally crowned in his mouth a shuttle of the . . wyverns with wings, indorsed , purfled , on each wing a rose seeded , barbed .

Weave

truth with trust.

This fraternity is very ancient, and were originally called ; and, in the reign of king Henry I. they paid annually to the crown, for their immunities. It is supposed they were the incorporated of all the city companies; and this conjecture is corroborated by a passage in Cotton's Records of Parliament, which states, that in the of Henry the , the weavers of London prayed the king that

their charter granted by Henry, son of Maud the empress, for

twenty marks

two shillings

of fee farm,

may be confirmed, so as the weavers, strangers, may be under their governance. In the charter referred to, which has been given in English by Stow, it was ordained, that

no person either in the city, or in

Southwark

, or any other place appertaining to London, should exercise the weavers' craft, unless he belonged to their guild; and that no man should injure them under a penalty of

10l.

: by the same instrument the weavers were ordered to pay to the king

two marks

of gold, annually, at Michaelmas.

Henry the again confirmed the franchises of the company in his year, but decreed also, that

if any man made cloth of Spanish wool, mixed with English wool, the port-grave ought to burn it.

The tenacity with which the weavers maintained their chartered

427

rights gave such offence, and occasioned so much contention, that, about the year , the city offered king John a gratuity of to dissolve the company. The result is differently stated: but the probability is, that the weavers were only at that time subjected to an increase of rent; but by an act of parliament passed in the reign of king Henry IV. they were put under the management and authority of the lord mayor and aldermen of the city. This company originally consisted of tapestry and cloth weavers; at present, however, it chiefly consists of worsted, cotton, and silk-weavers. It is a livery company, governed by bailiffs, wardens, and assistants. Their hall is on the east side of .

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Arms and crest granted 1487; supporters granted and the whole confirmed 1616.

[] Survey of London, p. 266. ed. 1598.

[] Ibid.

This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
d217r104q
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: History of London, from the Accession of William and Mary, to the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER II: History of London during the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER III: History of London from the Accession of George the Third, to the year 1780
 CHAPTER IV: History of London continued to the Union
 CHAPTER V: History of London from the Union to the Jubilee, 1809
 CHAPTER VI: History of London from the Jubilee to the Peace of 1814
 CHAPTER VII: History of London continued to the accession of George the Fourth
 CHAPTER VIII: Account of the Civil Government of the City by Portreves, Bailiffs, and Mayors, with a list of the latter...
 CHAPTER IX: An account of the Aldermen and Sheriffs, with a list of the latter
CHAPTER X: Lists and brief Accounts of the various Officers and Courts within the City
CHAPTER XI: Some account of the Ecclesiastical Government of the city of London, with a List and Biographical Notices of the Bishops of the see
CHAPTER XII: Some Account of the Military Government of London, and the Artillery Company
CHAPTER XIII: An Account of the twelve principal Companies of the City of London
CHAPTER XIV: An Account of the Companies of the City of London, alphabetically arranged
 CHAPTER XV: An Account of the River Thames
CHAPTER XVI: Historical and topographical account of London Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, Waterloo Bridge, Southwark Bridge, and the Thames Tunnel
CHAPTER XVII: Topographical and Historical Account of the Tower of London