The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 2

Allen, Thomas

1828

Clothworkers.

 

Their are a chevron ermine, between habicks in chief and a tezel in base slipped or. . A mount , thereon a ram statant . griffins , pellettee. .

My trust isin God alone.

. The Virgin Mary.

The , though a very ancient Guild, was not incorporated till the year , when Edward the granted the members his letters patent, by the style of

The Fraternity of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, of the Shearmen of London :

but this appellation was changed on their re-incorporation by queen Elizabeth, to that of

the master, wardens, and commonalty, of freemen of the art and mystery of clothworkers of the city of London.

Elizabeth's charter was confirmed by Charles the , in the year . The different workers of cloth, afterwards incorporated by the general name of

clothworkers,

anciently consisted of several fraternities, long since decayed or re-incorporated under new titles. The names of

375

some of these are quoted by Strype, from the , and afford an idea of the flourishing state of the trade formerly. The were the webbers, or weavers of cloth, then called tellars, or telars: these were very ancient, being confirmed as a guild, or fraternity, by king John and Henry the ; the latter granted them a charter, which refers even to an of a former charter, granted to them by his grandfather Henry the . Connected with these, in the making of cloth, were the fullers, of whom, and the dyers, a complaint was made by some of the company to Edward the , that certain of them, viz. John de Oxon, Henry at , and Elias le Shereman, sent cloths, which ought to be fulled in the city, to the mill at , &c. to the great damage of the owners, as well as of those who practised the fulling trade within the city; which was, in consequence, remedied. The mystery of the burilers, another branch of this trade, flourished at the same time: these appear to have been a sort of overseers, or inspectors of cloths. This company is governed by a master, wardens, and a court of about assistants. Its members possess considerable estates, both in their own right, and in trust for charitable purposes, their annual expenditure for which, is stated at about

 
 
Footnotes:

[] Arms granted 1530; crest and supporters 1587; whole confirmed 1645.

This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL
ID:
d217r104q
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Usage:
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 Dedication
 CHAPTER I: History of London, from the Accession of William and Mary, to the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER II: History of London during the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER III: History of London from the Accession of George the Third, to the year 1780
 CHAPTER IV: History of London continued to the Union
 CHAPTER V: History of London from the Union to the Jubilee, 1809
 CHAPTER VI: History of London from the Jubilee to the Peace of 1814
 CHAPTER VII: History of London continued to the accession of George the Fourth
 CHAPTER VIII: Account of the Civil Government of the City by Portreves, Bailiffs, and Mayors, with a list of the latter...
 CHAPTER IX: An account of the Aldermen and Sheriffs, with a list of the latter
CHAPTER X: Lists and brief Accounts of the various Officers and Courts within the City
CHAPTER XI: Some account of the Ecclesiastical Government of the city of London, with a List and Biographical Notices of the Bishops of the see
CHAPTER XII: Some Account of the Military Government of London, and the Artillery Company
CHAPTER XIII: An Account of the twelve principal Companies of the City of London
CHAPTER XIV: An Account of the Companies of the City of London, alphabetically arranged
 CHAPTER XV: An Account of the River Thames
CHAPTER XVI: Historical and topographical account of London Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, Waterloo Bridge, Southwark Bridge, and the Thames Tunnel
CHAPTER XVII: Topographical and Historical Account of the Tower of London