The History and Antiquities of London, Westminster, Southwark, and Parts Adjacent, vol. 2

Allen, Thomas


Tylers and Bricklayers. 37.

. a chevron , in chief a fleur-de-lis , between brick axes, palewise of the ; in base a bundle of laths of the last. . A dexter arm embowed, vested per pale and , cuffed , holding in the hand proper a brick-axe .

In God is all our trust.

Though this fraternity appears to be very ancient, yet they were not incorporated till the year of the reign of queen Elizabeth, who, by her letters patent, dated the , incorporated them by the name of

The master, and keepers, or wardens of the society of freemen of the mystery or art of tilers and bricklayers of London ;

which was afterwards confirmed by James II. in the year of his reign.

This is a livery company, and is governed by a master, wardens, and assistants.

They had formerly a convenient hall in a court on the south side of , but it has been long deserted by the company, and is now used as a jews' synagogue. The business of the company is transacted at the New London tavern.

This object is in collection Subject Temporal Permanent URL Extent
  • 2155166 bytes
Component ID:
To Cite:
DCA Citation Guide    EndNote
Detailed Rights
View all images in this book
 Title Page
 CHAPTER I: History of London, from the Accession of William and Mary, to the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER II: History of London during the reign of George the Second
 CHAPTER III: History of London from the Accession of George the Third, to the year 1780
 CHAPTER IV: History of London continued to the Union
 CHAPTER V: History of London from the Union to the Jubilee, 1809
 CHAPTER VI: History of London from the Jubilee to the Peace of 1814
 CHAPTER VII: History of London continued to the accession of George the Fourth
 CHAPTER VIII: Account of the Civil Government of the City by Portreves, Bailiffs, and Mayors, with a list of the latter...
 CHAPTER IX: An account of the Aldermen and Sheriffs, with a list of the latter
CHAPTER X: Lists and brief Accounts of the various Officers and Courts within the City
CHAPTER XI: Some account of the Ecclesiastical Government of the city of London, with a List and Biographical Notices of the Bishops of the see
CHAPTER XII: Some Account of the Military Government of London, and the Artillery Company
CHAPTER XIII: An Account of the twelve principal Companies of the City of London
CHAPTER XIV: An Account of the Companies of the City of London, alphabetically arranged
 CHAPTER XV: An Account of the River Thames
CHAPTER XVI: Historical and topographical account of London Bridge, Westminster Bridge, Blackfriars Bridge, Waterloo Bridge, Southwark Bridge, and the Thames Tunnel
CHAPTER XVII: Topographical and Historical Account of the Tower of London