Farringdon Without History of the Most Interesting Places, Leading Events; and Some Account of the Eminent Men connected therewith, since the year 1600

Francis, Adolphus Decimus

1870

Skinner Street

Built by Alderman Skinner, about the year , is entirely wiped out of existence by the viaduct. It ended on the east at St. Sepulchre's Church, and on the west ran into the hollow; it was memorable for the Saracen's Head Hotel, one of the fine old inns. The yard of the Saracen's Head is mentioned in "Nicholas Nickleby" as the starting-point of Squeers and Nicholas Nickleby for Do-the-boys-Hall.

is situated in Skinner Street, but was anciently mentioned as being in the Bailey; it is a remarkably handsome building, partly constructed by Wren's genius, and partly of most ancient date. The organ is one of the finest in London. A mournful history attaches to one of the bells of St. Sepulchre; one Richard Dowe, in the year , left the sum of £50, the interest of which was to pay for a person connected with St. Sepulchre's to go, the night before the execution of a criminal, as near as possible to the condemned cell at , and ring a warning and chaunt a rhyme depicting his coming fate.

47