Farringdon Without History of the Most Interesting Places, Leading Events; and Some Account of the Eminent Men connected therewith, since the year 1600

Francis, Adolphus Decimus

1870

Ludgate, or Floodgate,

Which gives its name to Ludgate Hill and Ludgate Street, was formerly one of the six great gates that enclosed the City of London proper, and was situate between the London Coffee House and St. Martin's Church, on Ludgate Hill. The gate is supposed to have been built by King C 2

36

Lud, who reigned in England about sixty-six years B. C.: it was removed in , and the statues of King Lud and his two sons, with one of Queen Elizabeth, were placed in St. Dunstan's Church, Fleet Street, where they may still be seen. Some persons contend that the name was originally Flood-gate, and was derived from the flood or stream that coursed down here from all parts into the Fleet.

Ludgate Street and Hill were always famous for mercers and drapers.