Dixon, Linda J.
THE OLD CAMPUS
The open area below Goddard Hall, known as the "Old Campus" is not older than the rest of the college, nor is it what we think of as a "campus." It is a in the ancient Roman sense, "an open place for martial exercise." Here during the Civil and subsequent wars, college students were drilled for military service. But it has been used much more extensively as an athletic field. Here in 1875 Tufts and Harvard played a game, using rules and a ball comparable to those of the modern game of football. It is supposed to have been the first game of football ever played.
Professors Row extends along the south side of the Old Campus where several fraternity houses are located. Also in this section of the Row is the University Infirmary which combines the facilities of Hooper House with those of Bartol House on the next street.
|View all images in this book|
|High on the Hill: Tufts Then and Now|
|The Greatest on Earth|
|The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy|
|The Old Campus|
|The Campus, Somerville Side|
|The College Farm|
|Talbot Avenue and Fred Stark Pearson|
|Cohen, the Oval and Alumnae Hall|
|Back Up the Hill|
|At the Top of the Steps|
|More Perspectives from the Memorial Steps|
|Top of the Hill|
|The Wessell Library|
|The Boston Campus|
|The Elms, the Store, and the North Hillside|