Dixon, Linda J.
This sprawling complex of student residences was built originally to house women students. Five residence halls and two dining halls now occupy a large portion of what was formerly a golf course. Hodgdon Hall, completed in 1954, is the oldest building in the complex. It is named for Frederick G. Hodgdon of the Class of 1894, a trustee for many years, who left his considerable fortune to our university. The Hodgdon Gate across the street from Curtis Hall was built in memory of his sister, Georgia Louise Hodgdon, Class of 1891. Tread lightly in the area between College Avenue and Paige Hall, for there close to the Hodgdon Gate are scattered the ashes of Frederick Hodgdon.
Bush Hall commemorates the name of Edith Linwood Bush, W03, H42, who for many years was professor of mathematics and dean of Jackson College. Her brother, Vannevar Bush, E13, G13, H32, was a faculty member and later a trustee. This world-renowned scientist ushered in the age of the computer with the invention of the differential analyzer, a device which performed complex mathematical operations. Held in high esteem by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill for his outstanding service during World War II as director of the Office of Scientific Research and Development, he played a key role in the development of the atomic bomb. The dormitory at the corner of Packard Avenue and Powderhouse Boulevard was named for Leo Rich Lewis, Class of 1887, H22, professor of music for 50 years. A prolific composer, he wrote many Tufts songs, including Six generations of his family have been associated with Tufts.
Tilton Hall, built in 1962, was named for Dr. John P. Tilton, the first person to hold the position of provost at Tufts. Earlier he had been a professor of education and dean of the Graduate School. Built in 1965, Haskell Hall at the foot of Latin Way was named for Harold Haskell, A06, H44, and his wife, Ruth, W06, G17. Mr. Haskell was elected a life trustee in 1953; Mrs. Haskell served as president of the Association of Tufts Alumnae. The Harold and Ruth Haskell Scholarship constitutes a large portion of the university's scholarship endowment.
Dewick Dining Hall, which faces Latin Way, was named for Cora Polk Dewick, Class of 1896, H44, H52, the first woman to be a trustee of Tufts. MacPhie Dining Hall was named for Elmore I. MacPhie, All, and his wife, Etta Phillips MacPhie, W13, H76. Mrs. MacPhie, when her husband died, was elected a life trustee to succeed him on the board. All their lives they were ardent supporters and generous benefactors of Tufts.
|View all images in this book|
|High on the Hill: Tufts Then and Now|
|The Greatest on Earth|
|The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy|
|The Old Campus|
|The Campus, Somerville Side|
|The College Farm|
|Talbot Avenue and Fred Stark Pearson|
|Cohen, the Oval and Alumnae Hall|
|Back Up the Hill|
|At the Top of the Steps|
|More Perspectives from the Memorial Steps|
|Top of the Hill|
|The Wessell Library|
|The Boston Campus|
|The Elms, the Store, and the North Hillside|