Dixon, Linda J.
THE FLETCHER SCHOOL OF LAW AND DIPLOMACY
The attractive brick building on the right as we start down Packard Avenue was originally Goddard Gymnasium (take a good look and remember it when you see the present gymnasium). It was renovated to house The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, which was established at Tufts in 1933 with the cooperation of Harvard University as the first graduate school of international affairs in this country. The Fletcher School has gained stature and influence throughout the world. Students come from every state in the Union and from many foreign countries to prepare for careers in all aspects of international affairs: diplomatic service; foreign affairs agencies; international finance, business, and journalism; and teaching. Since the establishment of The Fletcher School, some 80 of its graduates have risen to the rank of ambassador in the Foreign Service of the United States and the diplomatic service of other countries. Some of these were undergraduates of Tufts as well: The Honorable Malcolm Toon of Medford, A37, F38, H77, U.S. Ambassador to the USSR; The Honorable Edward W. Mulcahy of Malden, A43, F47, U.S. Ambassador to Tunisia; The Honorable Daniel P. Moynihan, BNS46, A48, F49, F61, H68, former U.S. ambassador to India and to the United Nations and now U.S. senator from New York. Women have been enrolled in The Fletcher School from the outset, and hold important assignments in many fields. For example, Dr. Jane W. Harbaugh, J52, F53, F57, is vice chancellor of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga; Mlle. Colette M. Flesch, F61, is mayor of Luxembourg Ville, member of Parliament of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and member of the European Parliament; Karen Hastee Williams, F61, is chief counsel of the Committee on the Budget, U.S. Senate.
The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy was founded as a result of a bequest by the late Austin Barclay Fletcher, Arts Class of 1876, H1899, a New York lawyer and former chairman of the board of trustees. At its founding, The Fletcher School received a legacy of great value, the library of the World Peace Foundation in Boston. It bears the
|name of Edwin Ginn, Arts Class of 1862, G1862, H02, who founded the publishing house of Ginn & Company and who donated $1 million to create the World Peace Foundation.|
As you pause at the head of the tree-lined walk leading to the entrance of The Fletcher School, notice the granite marker etched with "M" and "S" — the demarcation line between Medford and Somerville. The walkway is in Medford; the line of trees in Somerville. Down this walkway is Mugar Hall, named for Boston philanthropist Stephen P. Mugar. Mugar Hall was joined to Goddard Hall to increase the school's facilities. It contains a faculty lounge and dining room dedicated to Frank G. Wren, Arts Class of 1894, G1897, H39; a Fletcher School dining hall named for the late Roscoe Pound, renowned dean of the Harvard Law School and a founding father of The Fletcher School; and a third dining hall and lounge for students of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. Further down the walk is Fletcher Hall, which contains dormitory space and faculty offices.
On the opposite side of Packard Avenue from The Fletcher School is the President's House. It was built for President and Mrs. Carmichael in 1939. Since then President and Mrs. Nils Y. Wessell, President and Mrs. Burton C. Hallowell, and President and Mrs. Jean Mayer have lived there.
|View all images in this book|
|High on the Hill: Tufts Then and Now|
|The Greatest on Earth|
|The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy|
|The Old Campus|
|The Campus, Somerville Side|
|The College Farm|
|Talbot Avenue and Fred Stark Pearson|
|Cohen, the Oval and Alumnae Hall|
|Back Up the Hill|
|At the Top of the Steps|
|More Perspectives from the Memorial Steps|
|Top of the Hill|
|The Wessell Library|
|The Boston Campus|
|The Elms, the Store, and the North Hillside|