The Centennial History of Tufts College, 1952

Jumbo Book


Special Schools of the College

Special Schools of the College


The modern Tufts is a complexly organized institution. The School of Religion, later

called the Crane Theological School, was


established in 1869. This school is today affiliated in certain respects with the Divinity School of Harvard University. From the first this school has been nondenominational but its primary obligation has been to the Universalist and Unitarian Churches.

A course leading to a degree in engineering was established in 1865, the same year that

instruction began at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. From that time to the present the role of engineering education has grown in importance at Tufts. Today the School of Liberal Arts and the School of Engineering complement each other in providing some of the special advantages that Tufts offers undergraduates. Courses in the liberal arts can be supplemented by the work in the notable scientific departments and laboratories of the School of Engineering, and offerings in the social sciences and humanities in the School of Liberal Arts enrich the modern engineering curriculum.

In 1893 the Medical School was opened and in 1899 the Boston Dental College, founded in 1868, became the Tufts Dental School. In the year of the establishment of the Medical School President Capen first

used the word "University" as applying to Tufts in the Latin ritual of the awarding of degrees at Commencement. The new building of these schools has already been mentioned. Today more doctors and dentists in the New England states are graduates of Tufts than of any other school. Dr. Benjamin Spector, professor of anatomy and the history of medicine at the Tufts Medical School, is the author of a complete history of the first half century of the Medical School. In the last decade both the Schools of Medicine and Dentistry have given a new emphasis to research and have become, indeed, not only teaching centers but institutes for scientific investigation in these great health fields.

Women students were first admitted to Tufts in 1892, and in 1910 the women's

division was organized and chartered by the Commonwealth as Jackson College. Many women who have won national distinction have graduated at the Hill. Jackson has always offered a program of studies which is fully coordinate with Tufts. In its physical plant Jackson has also seen rapid development. Its most recent building is the Henry Clay Jackson Gymnasium which also serves as a modern student center for Jackson College.

Tufts has a Graduate School which


gives work under the supervision of the Faculties of Arts and Sciences, Medicine and Dentistry. The degrees of Master of Arts, Master of Science and Doctor of Philosophy are awarded by this school. Tufts has a division of Special Studies which offers adult education courses and also provides academic work under a cooperative agreement with the Bouve-Boston School of Physical Education, the Boston School of Occupational Therapy, the Forsyth Dental Infirmary, the Nursery Training School, the New England Conservatory of Music and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. By special arrangement all courses in art at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts are open to Tufts and Jackson undergraduates.