The Centennial History of Tufts College, 1952

Jumbo Book

1952

The New Medical and Dental School

The New Medical and Dental School

 

Building at Tufts has been almost continuous. Tufts now has large and small

over eighty buildings. The growth of the library has been typical. The original library soon outgrew its first rooms in Ballou Hall and was moved to what we now call Packard Hall. This building in turn became too small and the Eaton Library was given to
Tufts by Mrs. Andrew Carnegie in memory of her pastor, C. H. Eaton, '74. The new

p.36

War Memorial Library now supplements this building. Tufts has more than 250,000 books. In many of our American states there is no library as large as this. The new library has a number of notable features such as a room for listening to recordings, upwards of a hundred study carrels, special seminar rooms, comfortable recreational reading rooms, and separate studies for faculty research workers.

The early "philosophical apparatus" or

scientific equipment of the college was brought together by Professor John P. Marshall. He even learned how to grind lenses to help in this work. The modern Tufts has good science laboratories. Taken together, they
represent an expenditure of more than three million. Possibly no "College" in the country does more scientific investigation than does Tufts. In this centennial year research projects with a total budget in excess of two
million dollars are under way. This work is not only important in its own right but it is most significant indirectly in the part that it plays in undergraduate education at Tufts.

The new home of the Tufts Medical and Dental Schools on Harrison Avenue was first

occupied in 1949. This monumental eight-story building provides teaching and research facilities for these two schools and is located near the Tufts teaching hospitals which together make up the New England Medical Center.