First Baptist Church, Clarendon Street, n.d.
- Elevated view of the bell tower of the First Baptist Church on Clarendon Street at the corner of Commonwealth Avenue. Label underneath the image reads as follows - First Baptist Church, showing the famous Tower of the Trumpeters with its frieze of four sculptured groups representing the ordinances of baptism, communion, marriage and death, which stands 170 feet above ground level, at the corner of ... read moreCommonwealth and Clarendon Streets. This frieze, in heroic stone figures, is one of the sights of Boston's sightly Back Bay. It was designed in 1874 by Augusta Bartholdi, who also gave to the world the Statue of Liberty, a replica which adorns New York Harbor. The Church, built by the Brattle-Square Unitarian Society in 1872, passed to the Baptists in 1881. A memorial to john Hancock, a leading member of Brattle-Square, is retained in the present church, as is the old bell which he presented. H.H. Richardson was architect of the present church, while Stanford White is responsible for the tower. The hurricane of September 1938, threw down an arm and trumpet of one of the stone angels which stand at the four corners of the frieze, but these have been restored to their original position. The tower appearing in the background of the photograph is that of the Old South, Boylston and Dartmouth Streets. 6 1/2 x 7 Photographsread less
- Component ID:
- To Cite:
- TARC Citation Guide EndNote
- Detailed Rights
To request a high-resolution image, choose Add to List.