NEMC Health Science Review, 1970-1977

Overview

Title: NEMC Health Science Review
Dates: 1970-1977
Creator: Tufts Medical Center
Call Number: UP098
Size: 0.25 cubic ft.
Location:
    Digital Collection and Archives, Tufts University

Description

This collection contains issues issues of the New England Medical Center Health Science Review. It is quarterly published by Tufts-New England Medical Center Office of Communications and Public Affairs (later by the Office of Public Relations). The NEMC Health Science Review provided information on basic and clinical research at Tufts and in its affiliated hospitals to the Tufts community. It included faculty profiles, grant information, book reviews, a roster of recent faculty publications, feature stories, lists of speaking engagements, and articles on continuing education in medical and dental studies. Its predecessor was Tufts Scientific News. This collection contains quarterly issues between 1968 and 1977

Biography/History

The New England Medical Center (NEMC) is the principal teaching hospital for the School of Medicine and School of Dental Medicine. The Medical Center's chiefs of service are joint appointees with the medical school and most serve as chairs of their respective departments at the medical school. Students take 25% of their required third year clerkships and 50% of their fourth year electives at NEMC.

New England Medical Center was established in 1930 through the alliance of the Boston Dispensary, the Boston Floating Hospital for Children, and the Trustees of Tufts College. The NEMC was established as a non-profit corporation to coordinate the administrative activities of its constituent organizations. In 1946 the Pratt Diagnostic Clinic, an extension of the Boston Dispensary established in 1938, joined NEMC. In 1950, when the Medical School and Dental School relocated to Harrison Avenue, the NEMC became known as the New England Medical Center Hospital.

The entity was renamed Tufts-New England Medical Center in 1968, and in 1970 the NEMC board met at the Coonamessett Inn in Falmouth, Massachusetts to outline ways the NEMC and Tufts could further coordinate operations. The resulting directives, known as the Coonamessett Statement, indicated that support services and other business functions should be made the responsibility of T-NEMC in each case where it made sense to do so. That same year Tufts President Hallowell and NEMC President Quarles signed an affiliation agreement that codified the T-NEMC as an alliance through which its constituent units would move toward a completely integrated operation. By 1976, T-NEMC controlled health care studies, medical engineering, community health and ambulatory care, employee-student health services, lab animal medicine, some research, off-site medical services, a common utility supply center, architectural services, communications, educational media, parking facilities, property ownership, and public relations. However, by the late 1970s both institutions had experienced a change in leadership, resulting in a change of priorities for each. Interest in integration waned and the cooperation forged in the early 1970s was dismantled.

After a period of tension and competition in the 1980s, Tufts and NEMC drafted a new affiliation agreement in 1991, which remains in effect as of 1999. In 2000, the center was once again named Tufts-New England Medical Center, or T-NEMC.

History taken from Concise Encyclopedia of Tufts College

Access and Use

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

This collection is processed and open for research.

Use Restrictions

Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections. Please see the DCA's policy on Copyright and Fair Use for more information.

Series Description

  1. NEMC Health Science Review, 1970-1977

    This series contains issues issues of the New England Medical Center Health Science Review. It is quarterly published by Tufts-New England Medical Center Office of Communications and Public Affairs (later by the Office of Public Relations). The NEMC Health Science Review provided information on basic and clinical research at Tufts and in its affiliated hospitals to the Tufts community. It included faculty profiles, grant information, book reviews, a roster of recent faculty publications, feature stories, lists of speaking engagements, and articles on continuing education in medical and dental studies. Its predecessor was Tufts Scientific News. This collection contains quarterly issues between 1968 and 1977