Title: Historical Materials Collection
Dates: 1819 -- 2012
Creator: Tufts College
Call Number: UA136
Size: 175.36 Linear Feet, 188 boxes and 48 oversize folders, 7 Volumes, 6 Artifact(s), 1503 Digital Object(s)
Permanent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10427/37894
Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University
This collection contains materials including artifacts, ephemera, memorabilia, ledgers, loose photographic prints, and audio and visual material relating to Tufts history for which no provenance can be assigned.
The Audio Lab series contains lectures, panels, conferences, and performances at Tufts circa 1960-2000. Notable speakers include Ralph Nader, F. Lee Bailey, Robert Klein, Maya Angelou, Noam Chomsky, George McGovern, Dr. Benjamin Spock, Coretta Scott King, Allen Ginsberg, Timothy Leary, Stokely Carmichael, William F. Buckley, Margaret Mead, Muhammed Ali, Jane Fonda, Joe Biden, Norman Mailer, Isaac Asimov, P.J. O'Rourke, Jimmy Carter, Haruki Murakami, Margaret Thatcher, and many other prominent social and political figures.
This collection is organized into six series: Artifacts and ephemera; Photographs; Books; Audio Lab materials; University audiovisual materials; and Unprocessed accessions.
Since 1955, Tufts University has continued to expand its horizons. In 1964, in one of Wessell's final acts as president, Tufts opened the Experimental College. The Ex-College, which allows students to take classes not normally found in the curriculum, has remained one of Tufts' most popular programs.
In 1977, Tufts established a five-year joint degree program with the New England Conservatory of Music. Soon after, in 1979, a similar program began with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. Also in 1979, the Tufts Center for European Studies in Talloires, France, was established in an 11th Century priory. The Tufts European Center began operation soon after.
In late 1979, Tufts made another important addition. In October, the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine opened at its original Boston campus. In 1980, the Grafton campus, built on the site of a state mental hospital, officially opened its doors.
The last two major additions to Tufts University took place in 1980 and 1981. In 1980, the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, established with a large grant from the Sackler family, opened its doors on the Boston campus of the Tufts School of Medicine. In 1981, at the Medford Campus, Tufts celebrated the opening of the School of Nutrition Science and Policy. The school was the first of its kind in the nation.
Since Tufts College was officially established in 1852, it has continued to grow and expand in new directions. From its beginnings as a small liberal arts college through its expansion into a full-scale university, Tufts has maintained a strong academic tradition and a community feel.
University records are closed for 20 years from the date of their creation. Records older than 20 years that do not pertain to student education, staff and faculty employment and Board of Trustees records are open for research. This collection may require review before it is available for use. Please contact DCA for further details.
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see "Reproductions and Use" on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.
The Audio Lab materials series was re-processed in the Fall of 2014 by Tim Walsh, archives assistant, with supervision by Erin Faulder, Archivist for Digital Collections, using documentation from the original transfer. Accruals from fiscal years 2017-2019 were processed by Leah Edelman. Materials were placed in archival boxes if the original housing was damaged, and loose materials were placed in folders where needed. Received order was maintained. File or item =-level inventories were created, and series-level descriptions and the finding aid were updated at the time of processing.
This collection is partially processed.
The materials in this collection have minimal provenance documentation. Digital Collections and Archives staff move objects from this collection into other more appropriate collections when provenance is positively identified.
This series contains memorabilia and objects relating to the history of Tufts that could not be assigned to other collections.
This series contains photographic prints that relate to the history of Tufts but whose provenance could not be discerned.
This series contains texts on the history of Tufts University, its constituent schools, traditions, and significant events.
This series contains audio and video recordings made by the Audio Lab of lectures, panels, conferences, and performances at Tufts circa 1960-2000. Notable speakers include Ralph Nader, F. Lee Bailey, Robert Klein, Maya Angelou, Noam Chomsky, George McGovern, Dr. Benjamin Spock, Coretta Scott King, Allen Ginsberg, Timothy Leary, Stokely Carmichael, William F. Buckley, Margaret Mead, Muhammed Ali, Jane Fonda, Joe Biden, Norman Mailer, Isaac Asimov, P.J. O'Rourke, Jimmy Carter, Haruki Murakami, Margaret Thatcher, and many other prominent social and political figures. Topics covered include the Vietnam War, sexuality, groundbreakings, convocations, benefits, concerts, and a wide range of other social and political topics including women's, international, and race issues.
These tapes were transferred to Digital Collections and Archives from the Olin Center in 2009. The F.W. Olin Center for Language and Cultural Studies was dedicated and opened in the fall of 1991. Its mission includes the collecting of audio and video recordings of Tufts special events. Prior to 1991 the language and media lab was located in Eaton Hall from 1967-1981, and then Cabot Center from 1981-1991. The collection that now exists seems to be an amalgamation of various distinct series that were carried over from each previous location.
This series contains the unprocessed material that was previously in the UAV collection and unable to be incorporated into any other collection.