Title: Office of Alumni Relations Records
Dates: 1850 -- 2019
Creator: Joseph W. Morton
Call Number: UA011
Size: 43.83 Linear Feet, 38 boxes, 4 oversized folders, 27 Audiovisual Object(s), 22 VHS and 5 U-matic videocassettes, 15 Digital Object(s), 15 digital objects containing 368 files, 11 Reels, 5 Photographic Prints
Permanent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10427/55762
Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University
This collection contains scrapbooks, VHS tapes, U-matic tapes, audio reels and cassette tapes, slides, correspondence, office files, subject files, meeting minutes, event brochures, and memorabilia such as Frisbees and commemorative pens pertaining to alumni activities and relations. This collection also contains photographs of Tufts graduating classes and alumni events, student and alumni directories, and presentations.
This collection is organized in fifteen series: Tufts Univesrity Office of Alumni Relations, event files; Tufts University Alumni Assocation and Jackson College Alumni Association; Oral Histories; Photographs and auido-visual materials; Photo Albums; Tufts Univesrity Office of Alumni Relations, Tufts Clubs; Tufts Univesrity Office of Alumni Relations, subject files; Tufts Univesrity Office of Alumni Relationsgive-aways; Secretary of Alumni Assocation, Fred Nickless; Secretary of Alumni Assocoation, Joseph W. Morton; 2017 accessions; 2018 accessions; 2019 accessions; Unprocessed Accessions; and 2020 accessions.
The Office of Alumni Relations (1924-present) was established in 1924 by the Tufts University Alumni Association and was administered by Tufts as the Office of the Alumni Secretary. The first Alumni Secretary was Joseph W. Morton A'11, who served from 1924-56. The Secretary handled alumni outreach, conducted fundraising for the Alumni Fund, created alumni directories, edited university publications, assisted with alumni career placement, and coordinated with the Alumni Council and the Tufts University Alumni Association. The Secretary was based in Cousens Gym and, after 1965, in Alumni House. The Office has been located at 80 George St. since 2007.
The office was greatly expanded by President Jean Mayer in 1978 as the Office of Alumni Relations under the direction of Richard A. Kelley A37 G38. The new Office played a crucial role in the "Campaign for Tufts," at the time the largest fundraising initiative in Tufts' history by far. In 1985, the Office's second director, Ronald Brinn A58, created Tuftonia's Day to encourage closer bonds between alumni and the university. The holiday is celebrated in mid-April every year to commemorate the signing of the Tufts charter and has become a global celebration of all things Tufts-related.
The office is administered by the University Advancement Division and overseen by the Senior Vice President for University Advancement as of 2018.
This collection contains some restricted material. Restrictions related to specific material are listed in the detailed contents list. This collection may require review before it is available for use. Please contact DCA for further details.
Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see "Reproductions and Use" on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.
Office of Alumni Relations Records, 1850 -- 2019. Tufts University. Digital Collections and Archives. Medford, MA.
Processing notes for Secretary of Alumni Assocation, Fred Nickless Series: The original order of committee and chronological correspondence files was maintained; the overall series consisting of Alumni Symposium pamphlets, committee files, correspondence (including staff communication, Sheetz correspondence, and Tredennick correspondence), death reports, and handbooks was arranged alphabetically. Correspondence files were foldered. Committee files were refoldered and possibly relabeled by an unknown staff member. Titles in brackets were assigned by an archivist. The series was processed by Christopher Carr in fall of 2008; supervisor: Susanne Belovari. 2017, 2018, and 2019 accessions were processed by Leah Edelman and Melissa Cepeda in 2017-2019. Materials were placed in archival boxes and loose materials were placed in folders where needed. Received order was maintained. A file and item-level inventory and series-level description were created and the finding aid was updated at the time of processing.
Transferred by the Office of Alumni Relations, 2005 -- 2020.
This series contains office files relating to the planning of alumni events including Tuftonia Day, Homecoming, and Alumni Parade.
This series contains records on alumni groups, Tufts University Alumni Association and Jackson College Alumni Association, and memorabilia relating to these groups.
This series contains oral histories with Dr. Nichols and Carpenter and Littleton.
This series contains photographs and audio-visual material relating to various alumni events.
This series contains photo albums.
This series contains records relating to the Tufts Clubs (alumni networks) in national and international locations.
This series contains subject files from the Tufts University Office of Alumni Relations.
This series contains items given at Alumni events including frisbees, pens and key chains.
This series contains the files of the alumni secretary (now called director) of the Tufts University Alumni Association, Fred P. Nickless, files contain symposium pamphlets, correspondence files, committee files, some death reports of alumni, and a few alumni committee handbooks. This series contains alumni symposium pamphlets for 1967 and 1969, various committee files, the chronological correspondence files from 1971 to 1984, and the correspondences of the alumni office staff. These include the Sheetz and Tredennick correspondences. There are alumni committee handbooks and death reports of alumni in 1976 which are restricted. Fred Nickless took these files home from the alumni office upon his retirement in 1986; his daughter returned them in 2007 to the university.
This series contains correspondence and photographs from Joseph W. Morton.
This series contains an alumni scrapbook, photographs of Tufts graduating classes, event brochures, event photographs, audio reels and cassettes, and powerpoints of presentations.
This series contains four photographs: East Hall, 1917; Military Company, 1917; drawing of Alumni House, undated; untitled and undated photograph of Tufts event, circa 1980s.
This series contains a photograph of the Tufts College Glee, Guitar, and Mandolin Clubs from 1895-1896.
This series contains two copies of the Class of 1969 50th Anniversary Yearbook.
Some of the materials from this collection are available online. Not all materials have necessarily been digitized.