Short-Run University Publications, 1870 -- 2013

Overview

Title: Short-Run University Publications
Dates: 1870 -- 2013
Creator: Tufts University
Call Number: UP194
Size: 1.5 Cubic Feet
Permanent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14546
Location:
    Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University
    archives@tufts.edu
    https://dca.tufts.edu/

Description

This collection includes a variety of university publications that were only published briefly. Publications include magazines and newsletters from various departments of the undergraduate and graduate schools, including course catalogs, maps, brochures of the different programs for prospective students, newsletters on department research and developments for alumni, faculty, staff and/or students.

Arrangement

This collection is organized into one series.

Biography/History

Biographical / Historical

Since 1955, Tufts University has continued to expand its horizons. In 1964, in one of Wessell's final acts as president, Tufts opened the Experimental College. The Ex-College, which allows students to take classes not normally found in the curriculum, has remained one of Tufts' most popular programs.

In 1977, Tufts established a five-year joint degree program with the New England Conservatory of Music. Soon after, in 1979, a similar program began with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts. Also in 1979, the Tufts Center for European Studies in Talloires, France, was established in an 11th Century priory. The Tufts European Center began operation soon after.

In late 1979, Tufts made another important addition. In October, the Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine opened at its original Boston campus. In 1980, the Grafton campus, built on the site of a state mental hospital, officially opened its doors.

The last two major additions to Tufts University took place in 1980 and 1981. In 1980, the Sackler School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences, established with a large grant from the Sackler family, opened its doors on the Boston campus of the Tufts School of Medicine. In 1981, at the Medford Campus, Tufts celebrated the opening of the School of Nutrition Science and Policy. The school was the first of its kind in the nation.

Since Tufts College was officially established in 1852, it has continued to grow and expand in new directions. From its beginnings as a small liberal arts college through its expansion into a full-scale university, Tufts has maintained a strong academic tradition and a community feel.

Access and Use

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Use Restrictions

Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see "Reproductions and Use" on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.

Preferred Citation

Short-Run University Publications, 1870 -- 2013. Tufts University. Digital Collections and Archives. Medford, MA.

Collection History

Processing Notes

This collection is processed and open for research

Series Description

  1. Short-Run University Publications, 1870 -- 2013

    This collection includes all short-run university publications.