Facilities Management Records, 1849 -- 2004


Title: Facilities Management Records
Dates: 1849 -- 2004
Creator: Miller, Russell E.
Call Number: UA021
Size: 12.2 Cubic Feet, 24 boxes and 14 oversize folders, 72 Digital Object(s)
Language(s): English  
Permanent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10427/14657
    Digital Collections and Archives, Tufts University


This collection contains photographs, drawings, plans, correspondence, maps, newspaper clippings, and publications about Tufts buildings. The bulk of the material deals with the Medford campus.


This collection is organized in three series: Buildings and grounds; Architectural drawings and plans; and Unprocessed accessions.


Biographical / Historical

The Department of Grounds and Buildings was created during the latter half of the nineteenth century, with the purpose of maintaining the grounds and buildings of Tufts College in Medford. As the college grew to include the Schools of Medicine, Dental Medicine, and Veterinary Medicine, responsibility for maintaining the Boston and Grafton Campuses, in addition to the Medford/Somerville Campus, fell to the Department of Grounds and Buildings. The department was renamed the Department of Buildings and Grounds in January 1980. In 1999, the department again underwent a name change, becoming the Tufts University Facilities Department. While still charged with building and ground maintenance, the Facilities Department is also responsible for energy management, recycling, administration of the space inventory system, and planning and implementing maintenance projects.

Access and Use

Access Restrictions

University records are closed for 20 years from the date of their creation. Records older than 20 years that do not pertain to student education, staff and faculty employment and Board of Trustees records are open for research. This collection may require review before it is available for use. Please contact DCA for further details.

Use Restrictions

Some material in this collection may be protected by copyright and other rights. Please see "Reproductions and Use" on the Digital Collections and Archives website for more information about reproductions and permission to publish. Copyright to all materials created by Tufts University employees in the course of their work is held by the Trustees of Tufts University.

Collection History

Processing Notes

This collection is partially processed.

Custodial History

The first series contains materials originating in the Facilities Department as well as information collected by Russell Miller while preparing his history of Tufts College, Light on the Hill.

Series Description

  1. Buildings and Grounds, 1849 -- 1994

    This series contains materials collected by Russell Miller while preparing his history of Tufts College, Light on the Hill. It contains correspondence, clippings, and photographs primarily of the Medford campus, including maps and plans. The text of a detailed tour of Goddard Chapel is included.

  2. Architectural Drawings and Plans, 1896 -- 2004

    This series consists of architectural drawings and plans, and artistic renderings of Tufts University buildings.

  3. Unprocessed accessions

View Online Materials

Some of the materials from this collection are available online. Not all materials have necessarily been digitized.